vii. a-tisket, a-tasket

"darlin' i'd wait for you even if you didn't ask me to

even if you didn't ask me to...
and i'd bottle the feeling you give me
and shelve that stuff for years to come"

•••

season two, episode thirteen

lorelai, rory, and emilia are inside doose's market looking for baskets.

"so i've decided i'm saving myself for william holden." lorelai tells the two teenagers standing next to her.

"wow, it's nice out here in left field." rory jokes.

"hey, i'm sorry. sunset boulevard was on last night, and i don't know i've known him for years sabrina, stalag 17 and yet last night something snapped." lorelai jokes back.

"i'll say." rory mumbles.

"i think it was the monkey scene." lorelai tells the two girls.

"you know he's dead, don't you?" rory asks her mother.

"the monkey?" lorelai asks.

"william holden!" rory says.

"ugh, every great relationship has its obstacles. you'd know that if you weren't dating andy hardy." lorelai complains.

"this one?" rory asks.

"hm, no." lorelai responds.

"why?" rory asks.

"it's too big, it raises expectations." emilia says as she looks at the basket in her best friend's hand.

"like there's actually a home-cooked lunch in there?" rory asks.

"instead of whatever is leftover in our refrigerator - exactly." lorelei confirms.

"okay, going back on the pile now." rory asks as she puts the basket back

"oh, it's quaint, isn't it? the women get to make a nice lunch basket, the men get to bid on it, and the world rotates backwards on its axis." lorelai rants.

"i think it's fun." rory tells her mother.

"that's because you have a pretty boy to bid on your basket." lorelai teases her.

"yes i do." rory says proudly.

"did you tell him to eat lunch first?" emilia teases her best friend.