xvi. movie nights and food fights

there's nothing emilia and jess loved more than a good movie night. don't get them wrong they love hanging out with sofia and eric but something about being able to cozy up to their favorite movie and some takeout just felt perfect.

although when it came to picking said movie and takeout, that was sometimes constantly a struggle for the two.

emilia and jess have very similar tastes in movies but sometimes they will both get into a rut of only wanting to watch the same movie and results in a million and one compromises being thrown out there and by the time they're done, it's too late and they just end up cuddling and falling asleep.

luke finds endless entertainment when these instances happen as does the rest of the town. sometimes they'll go at it in the middle of a shift at the dinner and give the customers free entertainment during their meal.

when they finally come to a compromise, lorelai will stand up and start applauding their performance and patty will tell the two that they need to be in her next play. luke tends to ignore them when this happens because as much as he wants them to keep working he knows he could never be able to get them to stop plus it's pretty funny to watch.

this particular argument started wednesday afternoon in the diner. lorelai felt incredibly lucky that she decided to stop by for lunch and got to witness the newest movie/takeout battle.

jess is leaning against the counter and emilia is leaning over it as well on the other side with her back facing the door.

"almost famous and thai food" jess offers up.

"we just watched almost famous a couple days ago."

"exactly. a couple days ago." jess points out and emilia scoffs.

"that was weak. you could do better." it was jess' turn to scoff and emilia comes up with another option. "pizza and empire records."

"if we're going to watch a movie about a record store, it's going to be high fidelity." jess counters. "and i'm not in the mood for pizza."

"please never insult empire records ever again or i will kill you. also who in the world is ever not in the mood for pizza. what is wrong with you?"

"nothing is wrong with me. also excuse me for not wanting to watch a movie that you only like because you think everyone in it is hot."

"that's not the only reason that i want to watch it. it's a great movie and you're stupid for not liking it. also even you can't deny that they aren't all attractive. if you're telling me that you don't find renée zellweger even a tiny bit hot then you're lying to yourself and everyone in this diner. i'm
not even mad, i mean have you seen her?" emilia changes the subject "anyways, forget it. breakfast club and burgers."

"keep breakfast club but tacos instead."

"tacos but we have to watch rushmore."

"rushmore and italian."

"10 things i hate about you and greek."

"fight club and vietnamese."

"donnie darko and indian."

"what, are we going to burn the house down after?" jess and emilia say at the same time, emilia mocking her boyfriend.

jess is silent for a moment and squints at emilia before offering his final deal.

"slc punk and chinese. final offer take
it or leave it."

"deal...but only if we have an ethan embry double feature this weekend. can't hardly wait and empire records. i'll even let you pick the food."

"ugh gallag-" jess whined to his girlfriend.

"jess." emilia said firmly and shot him a look.

"fine." jess grumbles and rolls his eyes "you're so lucky i love you."

the two kiss over the counter and get back to work leaving luke as confused as ever. lorelai stands up and starts clapping and cheering for the two.

"bravo, bravo! encore, encore! emilia hart will you sign my face, i'm your biggest fan!"

emilia jokingly glares at the gilmore girl but hands her a presigned napkin that she keep in her apron for these exact moments. she then brings ms. patty her food who immediately tells the girl that her and jess fight like her and her third husband. apparently they had the best sex.

"i don't understand you two." luke shakes his head as he tells the two teens.

"what's so confusing?" jess asks his uncle.

"yeah i mean our communication skills are great."

"better than yours that's for sure." jess quips not so under his breath causing luke to glare at his nephew and emilia to hold in her laughter at the pair.

"get back to work. now." luke barks at the couple.

"whatever you say uncle luke." both teens quip and luke swears that one of these days he's going to have an aneurysm.

a/n: sorry it's been so long 😭 i'm applying to college and senior year has been the most stressful