Chapter 2

Ms. Ann began preparing Katarina's breakfast that was ordered by Millidiana Claes to be delivered to the field close to their family estate.

"Are you almost done, Ann?" Millidiana asked, looking tentatively at Ann who was preparing eggs, bacon, tea and some sweets.

"Yes My Lady," Ann answered respectfully.

"Good, we wouldn't want my dear daughter to wait too long for her breakfast," Millidiana said dreamily.

Ever since the scene from a few days ago happened, Duchess Millidiana has become more caring and more kind towards both Katarina and everyone else in the house. As strange as the new shift may be, everyone in the house has been welcoming towards the duchess's change of heart.

"Right, well I'm finished my lady." Ann said before carrying a picnic basket full of breakfast.

"Excellent! I'll accompany you to see how my daughter has been doing with her magic practice," Millidiana said cheerfully.

Ah, right. Ever since the day Katarina rejected Prince Gerald, she's begun to sneak out of her room early in the morning and practice magic outside on the fields. The first time she did it caused a widespread panic around the manor, with Millidiana having an anxiety attack over where her daughter could be.

The second time was just as hectic as the first. But by the third time, the Claes family made a compromise in order to give Katarina the space for her to practice magic, whilst also keeping her mother's calm.

That compromise was for Katarina to let the head maid, Ms. Joana, know that she will be going out to practice in the morning. Ms. Joanna then tells the rest of the household about Katarina's departure. This was Ms. Ann's own suggestion.

"Katarina we cannot have you sneak out without permission again," The Duke Claes stated, staring disapprovingly at his daughter.

Katarina sat on the sofa adjacent to where her parents were sitting, she was anxiously fidgeting with her fingers while her mother was being fanned by a maid. Her father, stared at her in disappointment.

"This is the second time this week, we can't have you always causing a panic in the estate,"

"But father! I want to strengthen my magic! What good is having magic if I can barely use it?"

"That's no excuse for sneaking out and about,"

"But I was just at the field!"

"If I may, my Lord." Ms. Ann intercepted, bowing her head as she did so.

"If Katarina were to signal our head maid Joana of her departure for the field, then we won't be experiencing as much panic when she's not around. Not only that, but we can also deliver her food through picnic baskets once she's out on the fields," Ms. Ann started.

"This way, Lady Katarina can go and practice with her magic whilst ensuring us that she stays safe, maybe a few of our guards and swordsmen can accompany her as well to ensure that she is safe," Ms. Ann finished.

Both the Duke and Duchess Claes looked at each other, almost as if they were communicating through their minds. Katarina looked at Ms. Ann with a bright smile, happy to see that she had defended Katarina. Ms. Ann shot her a sneaky grin back.

And that's how the compromise came to be. Ms. Ann is still surprised to have caught herself standing up and suggesting something towards the Duke and Duchess. She doesn't deny that Katarina's words from a few days ago impacted her significantly. Though she'll never admit it out loud.