all my troubles on a burning pile

Requested!

Could u pls do an angst one where y/n is like 14 and Scarlett catches her smoking? Scarlett gets upset because she used to smoke when she was younger and she told y/n from a young age to never smoke but she did it anyway? They get into a really big fight but then they makeup at the end or something? 

Reader is 14

:::

YOUR POV:

I'm in my rebellious phase.

Here I am, smoking on my bedroom porch because I have nothing better to do.

Scarlett has many rules about smoking. But me? I only have one.

Just don't get caught.

As easy as it sounds, Mum has really freaking soft steps, and well, I'm not going downtown just for a smoke.

I wish I were Spiderman.

Having Spidey senses would be so freaking cool and I wouldn't have to strain my ears, listening for Mum.

Or maybe, I could have super-sonic hearing like my math teacher does. I swear to God, she knows and hears everything.

I inhale and breath out, watching the smoke being carried away by the night breeze.

It's just like meditating, but addicting. 

In, out, in, out.

This is literally what Scarlett makes me do every time I have an audition, minus the cigarette.

Right now, it feels like I'm the main character. Leaning on my porch's railing, cigarette between two of my fingers, smoke wafting, nothing to be worried about except for Mom--

Mom?

Who is standing right next to me?

Wha--

"I hope you know I'm disappointed in you."

Just like everyone else?

I chuckle, "okay."

Mum holds her hand out and I pass her my cigarette. She drops it on the floor, extinguishing the small flame with a twist of her shoe.

"You just wasted like five bucks," I point out.

"You just wasted ten years of your life by smoking," she mocks.

My lips are pressed tightly in a line, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, cut the bull, Y/N," she sighs, "what happened? You were such a happy child!"

"I was," I say. "Was. Past tense."

I'm a complete idiot. Why am I waiting for Mum to explode?

Oh wait, you're in your rebellious phase, stupid.

"I don't have time for this!" and just like that, she explodes.

Whoops.

Too late to try and fix this argument.

"I've told you from such a young age to never smoke!" Mum exclaims, "one thing! That's all I asked you to do! AND YOU DIDN'T DO IT!" she gestures frantically, "those will kill you! Just like they killed a part of me when I was your age!"

Well, I guess it's my turn to snap.

"DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW?" I cry, "DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW? I CAN'T BE THE PERFECT DAUGHTER EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY FUCKING LIFE! THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS ME!"

"You don't have to be a perfect daughter."

"And I won't be. I'm not the perfect daughter if I smoke."

"You're fourteen," Scarlett reasons.

So?

"You were thirteen," I deadpan.

"That's different!" 

"Different how?"

"I--"

"That's what I thought," I cut Mum off. "You know why I do it?"

I'll tell you why.

"You know why? Because every time I do it, a teeny tiny part of me goes numb. A part of me that I never wanted to feel anyway. It's like--" I'm frustrated and Mom knows it, "all my troubles leave in the smoke! In the flame! All my troubles on a burning pile of paper! It's all lit up! And it leaves! Just like that!"

Mum pinches her nose and for a second, my heart speeds up thinking she'll yell at me again.

"Tell me."

What?

"Tell me next time. Tell me all your troubles. I don't care if they're about me, tell me."

"Why?"

"Because. I'm your mother and I'm supposed to be taking care of you. I'm not supposed to let you burn in your misery or troubles," Mom opens are arms and wraps them around me, "tell me."

"Okay."

"Okay?" Mum holds me tighter. "I love you, honey, but you should've told me."

We stand there. It's like the end of the movie-- the end of my main character moment. God, the neighbors must be watching us thinking that we're some deranged anger-issues ridden family.

"Mum?" I whisper.

She hums.

"I'm sorry and I love you too."

:::

A/N:

Idk how the heck a cigarette works so I'm just guessing. Also, I should've done a vape but idk what those look like either. And I don't know how they work too, so cigarette it is! As always, requests are open!

this was supposed to be posted tmr but im busy so im posting it rn