𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝. | 1

The air of the Rose D'or was filled with pretentious ritz and fake smiles. This was how the powerful lived, but that didn't stop Elmara from hating every part of it.

  Her colleagues had brought her here to supposedly celebrate her promotion, but the atmosphere seemed more choking than it did celebratory.

 Elmara stared sullenly at the golden cherub wallpaper, nursing a glass of
chardonnay in her hand, praying for the time to while away so she could create an excuse to leave the toxic atmosphere.

 "It is a wonder Elmara was able to single-handedly catch the Dragon. And in the nick of time too. You'd expect someone of her size to be a lot slower. I must commend you Mara." Mauve Lenoir commented, first to her colleagues then to Elmara in the sultry tone that would forever be associated with the Lenoirs.

 Mauve was everything Elmara was not. Pale, with raven-coloured hair and dazzling azure eyes, Mauve was outspoken. She also bore the one quality Elmara had prayed for, to a god she now believed did either not exist, or was simply cruel enough to ignore her pleas.

Mauve was skinny.

 Elmara did nothing but smile at the passive-aggressiveness of her colleague. She knew Mauve had wanted this position. Everyone at work knew ever since the opening was announced. She had dreaded even seeing Mauve and experiencing the well constructed barbs she was sure would be thrown her way.

"If you'll excuse me, I need to make a call." Elmara said softly to her colleagues before walking up stairs to the rooftop.

" Elmara said softly to her colleagues before walking up stairs to the rooftop

  Alex Drozdov was in a state. He needed to clear his head and a quick google search told him this was the best place in town.

 He hadn't been back in fourteen years, and the unwelcome memories he had locked in the attic of his mind had come gushing out, sending him into a frenzy.

 Alex took a sip of the untouched whisky he held in his hands, his eyes scanning the room for anything other than all the pompous folks he had seen here, when they suddenly stopped.

 Alex had never seen anyone more beautiful. They had their hair packed slickly into a low bun, with a few strands peaking out the front, threatening to brush their coffee eyes. Alex had never seen kinder eyes, they looked like the person who bore them would be ready to risk it all for anyone in need. But they also looked sad, as if the weight of the problems the person carried was so much that it reflected in their eyes.

 Alex was so consumed by this stranger that the rest of the world was blocked out.

The stranger and everyone else on that table had turned their head to a black-haired girl, and the words that came out her mouth made Alex grip his rocks glass so hard, the poor thing might have shattered with even the tiniest bit of added force.

 Alex expected a snarky reply from his beautiful stranger, something to soothe the rage he felt, but instead she gave a soft smile. That replaced the anger in Alex with an emotion he hadn't felt in a long time.

Compassion.

 By now, the stranger had headed for the roof and it was an internal battle for Alex not to follow them.

 From what the black haired girl had said, The stranger was a hero, or at least affiliated with them, and the last thing Alex needed or wanted was to get tangled up with the very people he sought to destroy.

By the time Alex had gotten to the roof, his sad-eyed stranger was leaning against the balcony, eyes gazing longingly at the stars scattered erratically across the night sky.

"Tough day?" Alex asked, startling the stranger.
  The shock in her eyes was visible, as if she didn't expect anyone to be up here with her, but she didn't let it  stick. In the span of a few seconds, she had regained her composure back.

"Just a little stress from work." She replied, almost shyly.
Of course Alex knew that it wasn't just stress from work, but he wasn't about to let her know that he'd been listening in on her and her colleague's conversation.

"It's a lovely night isn't it? The stars are shining so brightly." Alex remarked, leaning over the railings.
  A small smile graced Elmara's lips at this line, causing something in Alex to light up.

She was even more beautiful when she smiled

"Definitely. I love the stars." Elmara said in a breath, eyes glowing with warmth.

"So do I."

"There, Orion is out tonight." Alex said softly, pointing at the cluster of stars that was supposedly meant to tell a story.

"That's one of my favorites." Elmara replied in a dreamy state.

"Tch. Love."

The way Alex had scoffed irked Elmara terribly and she couldn't seem to let go of it.

"What's wrong with love?" She asked, slanting her eyes the way she always did when she was annoyed or irritated by something.

"Love is overrated." Alex answered back, keeping his gaze on the giant balls of gas splattered against the night sky like white paint against a black canvas.

"No it's not. Love is beautiful." Elmara wasn't sure why she was raising her voice, nor why she was getting defensive about this topic. With a complete stranger no less.

"Love will get you killed." Alex answered, his demeanor never faltering.

That seemed to be enough to shut Elmara up.

"You say it like you're speaking from experience." Elmara said. Back to staring at the sky.

"Perhaps." The stranger replied. Finally looking at her.

"Perhaps I am."

𝐀/𝐍

*Breathes in*
*Breathes out*

There you go guys! The very first Chapter of Broken Elysium!

What do we think? Do we like what we see?
Don't be afraid to speak your mind. As long as you're nice about it.
And because this is the first chapter, I have a surprise for you guys!

A double update!
So scroll down, or swipe left for more. Ciao!

𝐕𝐨𝐭𝐞. | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭. | 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞. |