𝐁𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐬&𝐁𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐧. | 8

"Y-your fiance?" Mr Santiago gasped, his brown eyes widening.

Elmara quickly glanced at her father, trying to see if he'd react, but his face was as passive as ever. He stood taking a sip of his Chardonnay with calculating eyes directed at the conversation.

"Yes, My fiance." Alex said, the shadow of a smirk playing on his lips.

"Moya zvezda, may I have this dance?" Alex asked, bowing to Elmara then holding out his hand.

Elmara tried as much as possible to contain the millions of emotions that were bubbling up in her at that moment. She put her hand in his, not saying a word as he led her to the dance floor.

"You look gorgeous habibi." Alex whispered dangerously close to Elmara's ear.

Elmara couldn't contain herself any longer. The anger and confusion was visible in her dark eyes.

"Fuck you Drozdov." Elmara whispered, her eyes turning into slits the way they did when she was angry. And Elmara was hardly ever angry.

"I can arrange for that, but I believe we have more pressing matters, my love." He chuckled, twirling her in tune with the song.

Elmara could feel herself turning into mush from Alex's comment. No one had ever made her feel this flustered in her entire life.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" He smirked, raising that stupidly gorgeous eyebrow of his.

"Have you always known?" Elmara asked, the situation finally dawning on her. She couldn't believe that he'd been getting closer and closer to her, all the while with the knowledge that they were to be engaged. While she was clueless. So fucking clueless.

Alex noticed the shift in the playful mood and responded somberly.

"I can assure you I had no idea it was you until I walked into your office that day. Our meeting was by pure luck."

Elmara seemed to very much doubt everything that he said, and it broke Alex's heart to see that she didn't believe him.

"I swear on the stars Elmara."

That was the first time Alex had ever said her name out loud, and he knew he would become obsessed. The way her name rolled off his tongue like honey? God, he could say it over and over again and never get tired.

"And I'm to believe you because?" Elmara said, letting Alex glide her across the ballroom floor.

Alex bowed his head low in shame. Well, as low as someone who was dancing could without falling flat on his face.

"You have no reason to, but I swear I'm telling you the truth." Alex said with pleading eyes.

Not a word was said between the two of them until the dance was over.

Soon, Alex was swept away by a group of businessmen and politicians and the side-eye that Mr Zaoui passed to Elmara made it clear that she was to accompany him.

They were out on the balcony now, and the chill of the night air was creeping into Elmara's skin. Her lips were plastered in a smile, one that Alex couldn't help but notice was fake. She had refused to say a word to him since the dance. Only nodding and laughing when she was expected to, as if she had rehearsed this a million times.

She thought back to what Xirsi had told her; "You cannot let your father dictate your life." And she decided there and then that she wouldn't marry Alex. She didn't care what repercussions her father had for her.

One of the men, Mr. Abishek, a man from a very long line of Nepo babies lit a cigarette and took a long puff. Elmara felt the hand she was holding on to go rigid. She looked up to the owner's face and saw that it was one filled with panic.
Alex's hand began to shake in Elmara's hold but no one seemed to notice.

"Excuse me gentlemen, I'd like to have a word with my fiance." She said with her ever present smile.

With that she led Alex away, and into one of the empty halls.

Alex looked like he was having trouble breathing at this point, and Elmara began to grow scared.

"Are you okay Alex? What should I do?" She said, worry etching on her face.

"C-can you hug me t-tight?" Alex asked.

Elmara knew what this was now. Alex was having a panic attack.

She grabbed him and held him in her embrace, talking about random things in her soft voice. Alex began to calm down as he melted into Elmara. Her voice seemed to release a comforting amount of serotonin into the room.

Alex didn't know if they had been in the room for a minute or an hour. Time seemed to slow when he was in her arms.

After a while had passed, Alex withdrew himself from Elmara, turning his face away.

"I'm sorry. That was very embarrassing." He muttered, red covering his nose in shame.

He hated for her to see him this way. He hated himself for being this way.

Elmara took his face gently, and turned it to face her.
"Hey, It's fine, there's nothing to be ashamed of." She said in a calming tone.

She had one hundred and one questions, but she knew it wasn't the time. When Alex felt comfortable telling her about it, he would.

"But thank you, I don't know what would have happened if you weren't with me." Alex said, still unable to meet her eyes.

To this Elmara simply smiled.

"You do know we have to talk right?
I'm sure you don't just expect me to marry you." Elmara stated, raising an eyebrow with a playful smile.

"Ahh yes, my future wife." Alex chuckled, seeming to have regained his confidence.

𝐀/𝐍

Thank y'all for 1k! It's been a tough time for me, but I'll get better, I always do. I know I left you guys on a cliffhanger and went Awol for two months, but shit's been hard.

Anyways, a celebratory update!

𝐕𝐨𝐭𝐞! 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭! 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞!

(No really, go back and vote. Ghost readers are the bane of my already painful existence.)