𝐅𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐦. | 3

"Good morning to you too Hyacinth. I'm sorry we couldn't look for your owner yesterday. I was so busy." Elmara said, smiling at the grey kitten on her bedside table.

"Meow."

"I'm hungry too, but I have to take a bath first." She replied, scratching the feline behind its ears, eliciting a purr.

"No Hyacinth, you cannot follow me into the bathroom." She told the cat, but it was having none of it, and Elmara finally gave up, and let it in.

After finishing her daily shower routine, Elmara got round to making breakfast.

She decided on a single piece of toast and a glass of orange juice for herself as well as a tin of Sardine and bowl of milk for Hyacinth.

"If you're going to be here much longer, I've got to get you some proper food Hyacinth."

The cat purred as if in agreement, all the while digging into it's meal.

Elmara made sure to leave extra food for Hyacinth before leaving for work.
Leaving a sleeping kitten on her couch.

The drive to work was short. Mr Zaoui had made sure to pick a place with the shortest route to work for Elmara, in order to avoid her being, as be put it, tardy.

She greeted the nice doorman with a smile before heading towards the elevator.

"You should use the stairs more often Mara. You could use the exercise." Came the sickly sweet voice that Elmara could identify in her sleep.

Elmara took a deep breath, before turning and facing the person with an artificial smile.
"Miss Lenoir, I am now your Department head. I would prefer it if you could stop talking to me as if we shared any relationship outside of work. And it's Miss Zaoui to you." Elmara said, before stepping into the elevator, leaving a shocked Mauve behind.

She couldn't understand why, but ever since she has spoken to the stranger who's name she still didn't know, she felt like she could do anything.

"So are you going to tell me your name?" Elmara asked, sipping on her bloody Mary.

"No habibi. I'd rather not." Alex smirked, swirling his whiskey.

Elmara straightened her plump lips into a firm line, she didn't know what to make of it, but she would not argue.

"Moya zvezda you are too timid. I can see you do not like my answer. Do not let me determine the outcome of the situation. Fight me." He said, leaning ever so close, with that irritably sexy smirk of his.

The closeness between her and this man, made Elmara's heartbeat increase its pace by a hundred, and she was nearly at a loss for words.

"Well then, What is your name?" Elmara said, adding confidence to the last part of her sentence.

Alex smiled, letting his hair brush his eyes. He'd been meaning to get a haircut.

"Alas, moya zvezda, I still won't be telling you that. Call me whatever you like." Alex said, leaning back and taking sips from his rocks glass.

Elmara squinted her eyes. "What was the point of making me ask you again if you weren't going to tell me?" She asked, finally rolling her eyes.

Alex smiled to himself, she wasn't as timid as she let herself out to be. She was a little spitfire, this one.
He shrugged, setting down his glass. "I wanted you to fight the system."

∘˚˳°∘˚˳°

"Good morning Miss Zaoui." Elmara's assistant greeted her, handing her a Chai latte.

"Good morning Mr Saetang. You're a life saver." She replied with a warm smile, taking the latte from him. Elmara couldn't survive without her daily does of caffeine.

"What are the stats?" She asked him, opening the door to her office.

"All the heads will be having a meeting at 3pm today. There has been an alarming rise in the case of missing heroes." Mr Saetang told Elmara, placing some files on her table.

"Shouldn't we let the Search and Retrieval team handle this one?" Elmara sighed, placing down her coffee.

"That's just the thing. The case is simply too big for them to take on alone. Ordinarily, hero deaths are kept at a minimum, usually three per year, but we've had 35 just this month."

Elmara's eyebrows knotted at this information. This was going to be a huge problem.

"Get me the missing hero's files."

Alex stared at the man in front of him with a bored face

"Arrange a meeting with the shareholders for this Friday."

His mind couldn't help but wonder to Elmara. He knew shouldn't be thinking of her, but he was and he couldn't help it.
Turns out she was more than just a pretty face. Her mind captivated Alex just as much as her beauty did.

Alex glanced at his watch. He had more important matters to take care of.

"Call in Nonso for me."

"Yes boss."

Soon enough, Alex watched the the figure of his most trusted staff walk through the door.

"Boss." Nonso greeted in his care free manner, taking a seat in front of Alex.

"What's the situation?" Alex asked, tapping his thumb on the table.

"All the captured heroes are dead and have been disposed of in strategic locations."
  Alex smiled at this. The NHB had no choice but to respond. Finding 35 heroes dead only this month wasn't something they could ignore.

"My inside source states that they'll be having a meeting today to discuss how to move forward." Nonso continued, slouching on the chair.

Alex internally rolled his eyes, only Nonso would have the guts to sit like that in his office.

"One more thing Nonso. When is the gala?" Alex asked pouring both himself and Nonso a shot of whiskey.

"Next week Friday." Nonso replied, taking his whiskey from his bosses hold.

"To revenge." Alex mumurred, placing the cool drink to his lips.

Everything was falling into place.

𝐀/𝐍

Vocabulary

Moya zvezda~ My star (Russian.)
Habibi~ My love (Arabic)
NHB (National Hero's Bureau)

Hello guys! A penny for your thoughts?
I want to know what's running through your minds, and as always;

𝐕𝐨𝐭𝐞. | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭. | 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞. |

P.S (I'll flog every ghost reader. Just tap that little orange star)