𝐃𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭.|10

"I want  a full elicitation of Alex Drozdov on my desk by Thursday Mr Saetang." Elmara said, walking into her office and handing her assistant a set of files.

"Your fiancé?" Mr Saetang asked, raising an eyebrow.

Elmara turned so fast, shock written all over her features. "How do you know that?"

Mr. Saetang just shrugged. "Word travels fast."

Elmara sighed before settling on her chair.
"I was hoping to get some time to think before this got out."

"How'd it happen El? First I hear of him, he's being interviewed as a suspect, next you're engaged to him."

Elmara grimaced at her assistant's informal tone. She'd always had this thing for being proper at work.

"It's arranged."

"This is a lot to take in." Mr. Saetang said, taking a seat.

"I'm the one getting married Atheer."

"Your point?"

"Whatever." Elmara gave up rolling her eyes.

Elmara's eyes quickly turned to her office door. It sounded like an argument was being held outside it.

"You're getting engaged?!" Xirsi's voice boomed, the door's loud thud following.

"I'm sorry Miss Zaoui. I told them they couldn't be here right now." The worried receptionist apologized with pleading eyes.

"It's fine Amaya, let Xirsi in." Elmara couldn't believe it. The whole of Elysium would be aware of her engagement by the end of the day.

"You're bloody getting married El?!"

Elmara gave Atheer a look that said 'please leave so I can talk to my livid cousin.' And Atheer being fluent in eye language did just that.

"I can't believe you're getting married El? You've never mentioned anyone before, and now I hear you're getting married?!"

To this Elmara said nothing.

"It wasn't your idea was it?" Xirsi questioned, realization dawning on their near perfect face.

"Uncle T has gone too far." They boomed.

"I'm not marrying him." Elmara sighed.

"No, I won't let you defend him any longer! Wait what–" Xirsi paused.

"I said I wouldn't be marrying Alex Drozdov." Elmara said with such a finality in her tone that only heading a department in the National Hero's bureau could give you.

A slow smile crept off of Xirsi's face. "You're standing up to Uncle T?"

"I suppose so." Elmara said, trying to sit before her cousin gave her a hug that would have knocked her down if not for her incredible balance.

"I'm proud of you Elly." Xirsi said, using the nickname that made Elmara feel like she was nine years old again.

"Who is this guy anyway? Did you even know him?" Xirsi asked, with a raised eyebrow.

"Sort of." Elmara sighed, sitting down. How did she explain that she'd been secretly meeting up with her intended every evening before she knew they were intended.

"Sort of?" Xirsi copied with a questioning tone.

"Yeah. I've sort of been going out with him without knowing we were to be engaged. He didn't even know himself." Elmara said, chewing on her lower lip.

"Wait," Xirsi said, their eyes widening.

"Is he that hot piece of ass I saw walking out of your office that day?!"

"Xirsi!" Elmara admonished her cousin who now had a mischievous twinkle in their eye.

"Uncle T has taste, I'll give him that. But what does he think this is? The 1800's? Trying to marry you off to some rando." Xirsi said, rolling their eyes.

"He just wanted a good match for me. He was probably scared I'd die an old maid." Elmara said, muttering the last part under her breath.

Elmara had always had an inferiority complex, but she couldn't show it. It was buried deep in the pit of her stomach, but you couldn't let the wolves know you were fresh meat, especially when you worked in the NHB.

Xirsi knew the thoughts that plagued their cousin's mind, and it worried them how poorly their baby sister thought about herself.

"Elmara. Olayemi. Zaoui." Xirsi cupped their cousin's face, speaking with such a commanding tone. You knew they held power.

"You are beautiful. How could you not be? You are a Zaoui, and the gods themselves crafted our gene codes. How could you be anything short of stunning? Anyone would be lucky if you even choose to look in their direction Elly, let no one else convince you otherwise."

"Xirsi" Elmara choked, hugging her older cousin.

"Shhh. Your employees can't know their boss is a baby, even though you are my baby" Xirsi cleaned Elmara's tears, both of them laughing.

 Your employees can't know their boss is a baby, even though you are my baby" Xirsi cleaned Elmara's tears, both of them laughing

"You look like shit."

Alex wanted to give his assistant a witty reply, but the migraine bashing his head in said otherwise.

"And you reek of alcohol. Did you even change when you got home?" Nonso droned, picking up the empty scotch bottle and placing it on the Ottoman.

"I ought to fire you for the way you speak to me." Alex mumbled.

"Well you can't, who else is supposed to knock some sense into you?" Nonso reorted.

"What happened? Did the mystery girl you've been meeting up with break your heart?" Nonso rolled his eyes sarcastically.

"It's her Nonso. Zaoui's daughter."

Nonso's face immediately fell.

"Shit"

Alex just groaned in reply, trying to protect his eyes from the light.

"Deep shit."

A/N

" wAnT tO ComPleTe ThIS bY JuLY"

Lmao.

Everything is going too fast.

I'm gonna throw up.

𝐕𝐨𝐭𝐞! 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭! 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞!

(The exclamations denote an excitement I do not feel, but it's customary stuff.)