26. "I'm not jealous."

Chapter Twenty Six

Elena's POV

Two weeks later, it was my mother in-laws birthday celebration held at the Stavrakos hotel.

I would meet Adonis at the party, since he had no time to go home to change clothes. He had a last minute business meeting with some foreign investors.

At seven thirty in the evening, I arrived at the Stavrakos hotel, wearing a white holster long dress, backless down to the waist. I put my hair up, to give emphasis to my bare back. My makeup was flawless, with smokey eyes, highlights and luscious lips.

I entered alone in an empty elevator. I pressed GB, the grand ballroom of the hotel. Just when the doors closed, a hand stopped them from closing.

A handsome tall blond man entered. We stared for barely three seconds before the doors snapped shut behind him.

"Hi," he greeted me with a beaming smile.

"Hi," I greeted back. I was starstruck at seeing him in person. My goodness, I've only seen him in the movies, magazines, billboards and internet.

"I'm Christian Firth," he extended his hand, and I took it in a handshake.

"I'm Elena."

He chuckled, giving me a teasing wink, "I know. You're my ex."

My temple felt hot of embarrassment, coming face to face with the man whom grandpa fixed as my ex-boyfriend.

"I'm sorry. Trust me, it's not my own doing."

"I know," he smiled gently, "it's with my permission though."

That surprised me. The starstruck feeling I had earlier abruptly died.

"So you're one of those he paid to destroy my reputation," the corner of my lips twisted.

His forehead furrowed instantly, "nope. I'm just returning a favor. Besides, your grandpa only wanted to protect you from the press and paparazzi who wanted to dig into your past."

I gave him a suspicious look, "are you saying that you know me?"

He nodded, "more than you thought. This arranged marriage thing, which you agreed to because of your ill mother. Working as a gasoline girl on weekends as a teenager, then an all-around assistant in a fashion manufacturing company after graduating senior high. I can tell you more if you want."

My lips pressed together, "so you know everything."

"Yeah," he moved closer, as we stood side by side, watching the elevator going up to the 100th floor, "unlike your husband, you have nothing to hide from me."

The mention of Adonis brought heaviness in my heart. I wished he knew everything about me. And once he did, I hoped he would understand.

My attention shifted back to the man standing beside me.

"How did you come to know about my life? Are you related to grandpa?"

"Not by blood, but he's close to my family. He was my grandfather's best friend."

"Wow. Interesting to know that he had a best friend. I'm sure they shared the same personalities."

"Nope," he shook his head vigorously, "my grandpa was very calm. He did not know how to get angry. He shared the same qualities with my dad."

"And you did not."

He laughed, "you're right. I got my personality from my mom. She's like a thunderstorm."

"Seems like a good combination."

"Nope. They got divorced after two years of marriage."

"I'm sorry."