28. 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗸-𝗼𝗿-𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗶𝘀𝘀𝘂𝗲𝘀!

HALLOWEEN THRIVED WITH THE HALLOWEEN SPIRIT. Children flooded the streets with their parents trailing behind, everyone dressed in all sorts of costumes; chatter and shouting bounced between friends and families, determined to get as much candy as possible. There were wizards, genies, popcorn, mummies, princesses, and more. A few older kids refused to dress up, sticking to orange hoodies that said: THIS IS MY COSTUME. It didn't spark the holiday energy, but kids their age viewed Halloween as a kiddish event but still joined in on the fun.

     Eszter was walking between her older siblings as they followed close behind the twins, who were wondering which house to start on first. Spending Halloween together as a family was weird--a good weird!--but it was a different feeling now that they're all together. Eszter felt her chest warmed with the presence of Wanda and Pietro surrounding her, reminding her of old times. Even if Eszter had to wear this ridiculous costume, she hoped Wesley decided to dress up as well, so she doesn't feel like the odd one.

     "This is it," declared Tommy, a look of determination crossing his features. "Game time."

     Billy looked exasperated. "It's not a competition, Tommy."

     "It is if you're a winner," said Tommy before running off to the nearest door.

     "Tommy," whined Billy, following him.

     Pietro cupped his hands around his mouth, projecting his voice. "Unleash hell, demon spawn!"

     Eszter scoffs; though smiling, she pats Pietro's chest. "Okay, that's enough, troublemaker," she rolls her eyes playfully. "They don't need a bad influence like you telling them to act out."

     "I am not a bad influence," gaped Pietro, feigning offense. One of his hands sat on his chest dramatically, acting as if Eszter hurt his feelings. "I'll have you know, I raised you to be the young lady you are."

     "Oh, really? You taught me how to pickpocket when I was eight," laughed Eszter. She gently shoved her shoulder into Pietro's side, failing to drop the smile on her face. "You're definitely a bad influence, Pietro."

     Pietro pulled his little sister to his side, swinging his arm around Eszter's shoulder. "I was just teaching you how to have fun, live a little. There was no way I was going to let my little sister grow up and become . . . whatever she became."

     Wanda furrowed her brows dejectedly, taking offense to Pietro's suggestion. "What's that supposed to mean?"

     "No offense, Wands, but you've become a mom," Eszter made a face.

     "That's because I am a mom."

     "Yeah, which makes you lame," insulted Pietro, snorting. "Come on, sis. You used to be so laid back and didn't care about most things, but now . . . you're boring."

     "Pietro, I'm not going to let my kids do something I don't think is appropriate," Wanda forced a laugh, uncomfortable.

     "There's nothing wrong with it, Wands," assured Eszter like she hadn't just made fun of her sister. The bickering is natural. "Pietro doesn't get it. He's gonna be single forever."

     "I wouldn't assume so quick, little sister," Pietro cocked a brow. "I've got mad flirting skills. The chicks dig me."

     Eszter scrunched her face in disgust. "Ew," she shoved Pietro's arm off her shoulder. "Don't ever say that again."

     "You're just jealous because I'm better looking," argued Pietro childishly.

     This type of behavior was so natural that Wanda almost believed it; it was like Pietro was like the one she remembered. Eszter and Pietro would bicker all the time about something so foolish and even have a whole argument about something so stupid. As much as Pietro and Eszter were mischievous, those two could easily bump heads and play fight until one yield. However, in this case, Eszter doesn't like letting Pietro get the upper hand, and Pietro loves annoying Eszter. It became an endless cycle that Wanda had to grow up with, being the middleman sometimes, though she'd never participated in their stupid games.