CHAPTER TEN

─── ・ 。゚☆ : *

─── ・ 。゚☆ : *. TO BID YOU FAREWELL 
(
chapter ten ─ act one )

────────────

Klaus sat on the floor of his studio, a half-empty bottle of whiskey in his hand. His hair was disheveled, his clothes covered in blood but he didn't care.

Days had passed since he learned of Rory's passing. Klaus wasn't sure what he felt, but he knew that he didn't want to feel any of it. So, he drank alcohol endlessly and mercilessly fed on the people of Paris till he felt numb. Still, it was only a temporary solution. He would have to process her death and face the fact that she was gone. And the first step would happen thanks to her funeral.

"I was looking for you," Elijah's voice rang out as he entered the studio, Klaus refusing to move or even acknowledge his brother's presence.

Elijah stopped in front of Klaus and took in his appearance. He knew that Klaus wasn't going to take Rory's passing lightly, so he wasn't surprised at all to find the state his brother was in. However, the elder Original was stunned that Klaus didn't accompany him today. He thought that Klaus, at the very least, respected Rory enough to give her a proper sendoff.

"The funeral service was lovely," Elijah began and Klaus scowled, taking a huge swig of his drink in response. He didn't need reminding about what was happening today, the alcohol was meant to make him forget.

"I spoke to Aleksei, passing our condolences for his loss. He asked for me to tell you thank you." Klaus turns his head slightly toward his brother but still remains silent. "Aurelia was going through a tough time but the time she spent with you truly made her happy, and he wanted to thank you for that."

The younger Original raised his head, finally acknowledging his brother's presence. And as Elijah looked into his brother's eyes, he found the rage and hatred in them. But behind that anger, he could see the bits of sadness in his eyes.

"Are you hoping that relaying this message is going to absolve you of your guilt?"

That was the last question Elijah ever expected Klaus to ask. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It is your fault that she is gone."

"I did not commit such a heinous crime."

"But you were here in France, the same time I was. You came here to tell me that my presence here was noted, and that you were looking into her. It was your obsession with her and her family that led our enemies straight to her. You are to blame for this!"

"This is your grief talking, your paranoia," reasoned Elijah, more so to himself than his brother. But Klaus wasn't about to be so easily dismissed.

"You led them here!" roared the younger Original, speedily rising to his feet and standing in front Elijah. The elder Original stood his ground and didn't flinch, already expecting the outburst. "You gave them an opening, and now look. She's dead! You may not have committed the crime as you so eloquently put it, but you certainly had a part to play in her death."