Chapter Thirty

"You speak of control, yet you court chaos." Thor claims towards Fury, everyone in the room is a part to keep calm.

"It's his M.O., isn't it? I mean, what are we, a team? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're...we're a time-bomb." Bruce proposes in front of the table displaying the scepter.

"You need to step away." Fury responds,

"Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Tony speaks behind him, laying an arm on Steve's shoulders.

"You know damn well why! Back off!" Steve orders out, throwing Tony's arm away.

"Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me." He counters back, squaring back up.

"Yeah, big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?"

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Tony replies easily to Steve; Louise and everyone around them listen in.

"I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you." Steve continues,

"I think I would just cut the wire." Tony adds back wittedly, Steve smirks and glances around before looking back.

"Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero." Steve pursues.

"A hero, like you? You're a laboratory experiment, Rogers. You and your girlfriend. Everything special about you came out of a bottle." Louise looks to him, uncrossing her arms as she feels her control slip for a moment. She takes a step to the duo, Fury grabbing her shoulder to stop her movement. She glares at him, clenching her fist, which catches the eyes of everyone but the clashing heroes.

"Put on the suit. Let's go a few rounds." Steve taunts, taking a step closer to Tony to intimidate him.

"You people are so petty, and tiny." Thor speaks up for the other side of the lab, Bruce pitching in.

"Yeah, this is a team." Bruce jokes, glancing around the room.

"Agent Romanoff, would you escort Dr. Banner back to his-" Fury tries, Bruce speaking up again.

"Where? You're renting my room."

"The cell was just..."

"In case you needed to kill me. But you can't! I know, I tried." Bruce yells back to Fury's excuse, everyone staring at him to continue.

"I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out. So I moved on, I focused on helping other people. I was good until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk. You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You wanna know how I stay calm?" Bruce explains, a menacing tone filling under his words as he spoke.

"Dr. Banner. Put down the scepter." Steve calmly said, everyone one on alert except Louise, who had basically stayed silent the entire time. An alert rings in the air, making them tense, as Bruce lowers the scepter from his hand back onto the table.

"Sorry, kids. You don't get to see my party trick after all." Bruce speaks up after a few seconds of silence, stepping past everyone to see the view screen with the gamma signature alert.

"You located the tesseract." Thor says, turning slightly to face Bruce.

"I could get there faster." Tony adds, Thor turning back to speak again.

"The tesseract belongs on Asgard. No human is a match for it."

"I agree with the god. Somewhat." Louise finally pitches in, making all of them give her a ridiculous look.