Chapter Four

Louise sat outside Steve’s curtain, seeing a few taller men glancing at her along with a few women. A man has come to her once or twice already, she quickly rejected their advances and waited for Steve.
“Wait here.” She hears the Doctor checking Steve speak.
“Is there a problem?” She hears Steve’s voice,
“Just wait here.” The Doctor says again and exits the curtain. Louise stiffens, her eyes darting around as she watches for some staff. She stands quietly, entering through the curtain to see Steve trying to slip his shoes on. She waves for him to hurry, just in case they need to run.

A MP opens the curtain, and Louise stands straight, as Steve did in the chair he sat in. The slightly older man steps in, and speaks.
“Thank you.” The man says to the MP, and he steps out and the curtain closes. The man glances at Louise, and she stands ready to fight or run.
“So, you want to go overseas. Kill some Nazis.” The man speaks up, and Louise pauses her stance, and stands slightly normal.
“Excuse me?” Steve asks, the man stepping up to him.
“Dr. Abraham Erskine. I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve.” He shakes hands with Steve after he stood, the Doctor moving to shake her hand as well.
“Steve Rogers.” He responds and the Doctor moves to the patient table and sets down a file and opens it.
“Louise Grant.” She introduces him as he shook her hand as well for pleasantries.

“Where are you from?” Louise speaks up, holding her clasp wallet in her hands as she watches closely.
“Queens. 73rd Street and Utopia Parkway. Before that, Germany. This troubles you?”
“No.” Louise replies, Steve shaking his head ‘No’ as well.
“Where are you from, Mr. Rogers? Mmm? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities.” The Doctor says, flipping through Steve’s file Louise believed.
“That might not be the right file.” Steve tries, stopping at the Doctor’s words.
“No, it’s not the exams I’m interested in. It’s the five tries. But you didn’t answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?” He asks, stepping in front of Steve.
“Is this a test?” Steve asks, and the Doctor nods while answering.
“Yes.” The Doctor answers, sparing a small glance to Louise.
“I don’t wanna kill anyone. I don’t like bullies. I don’t care where they’re from.” Steve finishes, 
“Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is the little guy, huh?” The Doctor pauses, giving Steve a once over before deciding.

“I can offer you a chance.” The Doctor says, turning to pull the curtain back and exit.
“Only a chance.” The Doctor adds, glancing at the duo as they follow.
“I’ll take it.” Steve speaks up, as the Doctor opens his file.
“Good. So where is the little guy from, actually?”
“Brooklyn.” Steve says, and the Doctor hands Steve his file.
“Congratulations, soldier.” The Doctor says, stepping away, and gestures for Louise to step away with him. She looks to Steve who takes a breath of relief.
“You got this, darlin’.” She says in his ear, and Steve smiles as she steps away.

“Now, dear. May I conclude that you applied as a combat nurse, yes?” Dr. Erskine asks, holding another file, she presumed was hers.
“Yes, I did. May I ask why you inquire?”
“Just surveying your qualifications.” He answers vaguely, staring over her file.
“I’ve done the medical training, and have excelled in most fields.”
“Besides that?” He pushes, and she sighs slightly.
“So I could help my friends if they happen to be in the same regiment.” She adds, and the Doctor nods as he holds her blood sample in his hand. She glances at it, keeping her composure as he waits a few minutes for anything. She stays still and silent, and the Doctor nods after the time period.
“Very well, I will assign you with me. I will be frequenting Mr. Rogers regiment, you will be my affiliate. You seem to be very far in your field, it would be beneficial to add your expertise.” The Doctor exits the room, leaving the vial of the blood in the open. Louise grabs the vial after a few seconds, slipping it into her wallet and leaving discreetly into the expo.

-

*past*

Louise held her small pack, her head lazily moving side to side. The brightness of the room around her caused her eyes to close.
“Luisa?” She hears a gruff voice in the distance, her eyes heavily opening and closing.
“Dad?” Louise whispers, her eyes finally staying open enough to see a blurry figure.

“What happened?” She hears her father speak again, listening in from her position.
“She fainted during our tests, we just drew some blood, so she may still have some dizziness. “Please take your time to exit.” Another male voice says and the sound of a door closing enters her ears. Louise pushes to sit up from a medical bed, scanning the small white room to find her father.

“Luisa, we need to go.” He steps to her, helping her teen being stand. He stood at 5’9, his brown hair and beard splotted with gray strands. 
“Dad, what’s going on?” She asks, as he turns away and looks through a tray across the room.
“You know your difference, Luisa. We cannot take any risks, your mother doesn’t even know.” He states grabbing the two tubes of her blood. He takes two extras and fills them with his own, cleaning the evidence up before sneaking her out into the street life.

“Dad, is there something so wrong with me that you need to be this thorough?” She asks, slowing her sixteen year old body in the middle of a busy sidewalk.
“No, of course not. People are just short minded, you don’t need their acceptance. Just be careful they don’t use you.” He responds and takes her hand to continue home.
“Thank you then, Dad. For protecting me.”
“It’s my job, darling.” He answers, his new york accent thick as they continue walking.

-

*present*

Louise passes the dance floor slowly, maneuvering through the large crowd. Reminiscing of her father, feeling the vial of blood in her wallet. She smiles at the memory in, as she steps down a few stairs and passes the dance floor. A hand lands on her waist, her body turning to face a random man.
“Dance with me, darlin’.” She pulls back slightly in disgust, glancing around.
“No, Thank you.” She pushes, and the man tries to pull her back. She stomps on the man’s foot, pushing him into the crowd to fall as someone else stepped to her.

“Are you ever gonna let me save you?” Bucky speaks up, holding his hand out for her.
“I’m not your typical damsel, James.” Louise replies, and goes to leave.
“Can I get a dance before I go?” Bucky says, following her a few steps and moving in front of her.
“Why aren’t you dancing with your girls?” She responds back, Bucky smirking slightly as he sensed the jealousy in her words. 
“Because only one dame really matters more.” He retorts, holding his hand out again. Louise stares into his eyes. Searching for any doubt, after a few seconds she sighs and lays her hand in his own..
“Just one, Bucky.”
“Whatever you say, darlin’.” She blushed slightly again as he took her to the dance floor and went to hold her waist as they began to sway to a slow song.

“I hope you won’t have too much fun without me.” Bucky says after a minute of silence, many other dance couples swaying to the music.
“Never in a million years, James.” She replies with a small smile, looking up to him lightly.
“Good, I wouldn’t want to lose my best dame.” He adds, and Louise’s smile slightly widens. He pulls away and twirls her softly, her dress swaying around and stopping as he catches her and begins to step with the dance as many others did.
“Never.” She whispers to him, and she was close as they twisted in the dance and connected once again. The song ends after another twirl and step. Louise looks to Bucky, the girls he was with forgotten to the side who stared. Louise took a step back and went to leave.
“Wait.” He catches her wrist, and she turns back facing him. He stares speechless, scanning her face once more. Louise sighs, breathing in deeply as she contemplates and decides.

“Louise, I- '' She steps up, pulling his face down slightly for a soft chaste kiss. Her lips soft against his own slightly chapped ones. She kisses both corners of his lips and pulls away with her hands leaving his face as he opens his eyes.
“That’s for your birthday.” She responds and steps away, leaving him quiet as she disappears into the expo to ready herself in the morning for the work with the Doctor.