Chapter Thirteen

"Did it hurt?" Bucky asks as he finally walks on his own, glancing nervously along with Steve to Louise who worsened from after effect of Dr. Zola's serum.

"A little." Steve responds, as Bucky moves next to Louise, helping her stand as her mind has weakened from constant use for over a few mile radius.

"Is it permanent?" Bucky asks as Steve catches on and lifts Louise into his arm to move faster.

"So far." Steve responds as Louise complains, but blood begins to leak from her nose lightly.

"We need to move." He urges, and Bucky steals a pair of boots from a knocked out guard before they reach the platform. Steve moves quickly, his shield on his arm as he carries Louise up some platform steps.

Explosions having already filled the factory and continuing to destroy the building in fire the trio deflected from. They sprint back the way they came taking a different direction after going up, a voice catching them as Louise pushed her mind to control itself and weakly stood from Steve's arms.

"Captain America! How exciting!" Schmidt says from across a railing bridge above the fire, high in the factory building. Bucky held Louise close, trying to help her to move on her own as Steve stepped across the bridge along with Schmidt.

"I'm a great fan of your films. So, Dr. Erskine managed it after all. Not exactly an improvement, but still impressive." They meet in the middle, Steve hurling a punch across Schmidt's face and knocking him slightly back before he stands back up.

"You've got no idea." Steve responds as Schmidt looks back, his right eye seeming different as a redness appeared to be showing beneath his skin.

"Haven't I?" Schmidt replies, going to punch Steve who blocked with his thin shield. Schmidt swings back again after Steve looks over it, knocking him back, an indentation of Schmidt's hit scoring the shield.

Steve's gun falls into the fire below them, his hands grabbing the railings beside him. Steve launches himself into the air to kick Schmidt back across the bridge to his far side. Louise looked to Dr. Zola, her mind trying to manipulate him to her will. Dr. Zola grabbed a lever and pulled it back to separate the bridge and the serum soldiers. She grunts as she separates completely, her ears bleed slightly this time, and James then tries to help her as Schmidt shouted across the way.

"No matter what lies Erskine told you, you see I was his greatest success!" He yells, his hand going to the side of his face to peel his skin free, showcasing the red muscle that had formed around his skill, some features were technically gone but the bone shape was still there.

"You don't have one of those, do you?" Bucky asks, staring at Schmidt, or the Red Skull.

"You are deluded, Captain. You pretend to be simple soldiers, but in reality you are just afraid to admit that we have left humanity behind." Schmidt says as he and Dr. Zola stepped to an elevator, Schmidt's face skin falling and burning into nothing in the raging fire beneath them.

"Unlike you, I embrace it proudly. Without fear!"

"Then how come you're running?" Steve asks as the elevator doors cut Schmidt and Dr. Zola off, and the fire below worsens.

"Come on, let's go. Up." Steve says, eyeing a rafter in the very top of the factory. Making Louise and Bucky follow him quickly as the flames below grew. They reach the top quickly, seeing the rafter shaking slightly from more explosions outside. The rafter hangs down slightly from its original hinges, creaking from the outdoor blasts.

"Let's go. One at a time." Steve pushes Louise first as she's the lightest, she stumbles very much, her quickness keeping her from falling as she collapses on the other side on the walkway. Bucky begins to go slowly, his eye watching as the rafter shakes down a little and increases as he nears the other side. The rafter squeaks loudly as Bucky jumps to the end and climbs over, checking Louise fastly and looking back as the rafter becomes consumed by flames.

"Gotta be a rope or something!" Bucky yells back to Steve who was stuck across the way, Louise pushes to a stand awaiting for Steve.

"Just go! Get out of here!" He yells back and she shakes her head along with Bucky.

"No! Not without you!" James yells louder and Steve looks at them worriedly. Steve bends a railing pipe out of the way of the broken rail, making an opening for him. He works back as much as he can on his platform, his feet taking off as he sprints to jump across. Explosions fly high, fire surrounding them as he flew through the air, bright light taking them from sight.