Chapter Thirty Three

Louise stabs down a final Chitauri, her ki stick staking the last warrior down in her current building. Her right arm sleeve torn at the seam from an energy shot, a light blood rail scaling down her arm as she helped a young man stand back up.

"Thank you. Thank you." Many people clamored about, moving to stand back up. Louise escorts them out to enter the subway entrance just outside. Letting others run forth in small groups, exiting to beat down a couple Chitauri with her last ki stick and the last of her throwing knives. The last civilians stop, a young set of twins staring at Louise in awe as she kicks and hits down a Chitauri with ease, her broken stick held in her left hand as she turns to face the twins.

"You better run back down to catch up with your family." She gestures down, lowering to one knee to speak with them.

"Our family is gone, they were stuck in that building before it fell. An old man grabbed us to bring us here, to be safe." One twin speaks up, holding the other close to protect them. Louise pauses, glancing at the collapsed building in the vague area they mentioned, a sigh leaving her lips. She grips her right arm sleeve, the scarlet fabric tearing at her strength. She folds the sleeve neatly, grabbing her flip phone given to her by S.H.I.E.L.D. to wrap it in the sleeve.

"How about you save this, a phone that can reach me anytime, yeah? Keep this sleeve to protect it, also to let me know you made it safe. Just hang it on a place you can see it in the street once everything is safe. Now, go on. I still have a job to do, and I need to know you'll be safe down there." The twins nod, the small one takes the folded sleeve, clutching it as they both scrabble down the stairs, a few civilians waiting for them to join and escape.

A screech fills the air behind her, a few Chitauri surrounding her as she turns back around. She drops the stick, grabbing the short spear from her back to fight the group. Louise takes a breath, lowering slightly to a stance before charging forward. She sprints around fastly, swinging the spear around to slice across the midriff of the Chitauri reptilian abdomen. The creatures crying out as Lou used to sword end to slice them down.

A screech shouts right next to Louise, a chariot slamming into her side to lift her in the air. She groans in pain as the sharp metal in front cuts her left side, her hands gripping the metal landing to stay attached. Her hands crushing the metal beneath it as the chariot surges forward towards a building, a bank specifically.

The stone and concrete of the bank roof crumbles under Louise and the chariot, the spy and warriors breaking apart to crash heavily on a 4th level. Many civilians were screaming as they hid in the building as well as the floor below them. Louise tries to steady her breathing, her body aching from the pain as the Chitauri chatter loudly, pointing their weapons down at the civilians.

"Captain, the bank on 42nd past Madison. They've cornered a lot of civilians there." Louise hears their chatter in her ear, her fists slamming down onto a Chitauri warrior, killing the alien before kicking its body from her way.

"I'm on it." She hears Steve respond, as she grabs another warrior. Savagely disarming them before snapping its neck, and tossing it over the railing.

Louise hears another chariot fly through the hole in the roof, her body jumping to catch the chariot spearing through the glass ceiling. She ducks as the glass shatters, raining onto the ground as she snatches the driving Chitauri back, stabbing it with a metal shard through the back. The chariot loses its acceleration after the kill, the second warrior grabbing Louise to tackle her back to the ground. The chariot lands first as they free fall; Louise twirls the warrior down, slamming its body onto the crumbled chariot, breaking it down as they land in a cloud of smoke upon the building's rubble. The crowd watches in astonishment as they see Louise standing upon the dead warrior, showing her victory over the army.