HER room

clint's pov
i go to walk up the stairs to call y/n for dinner when i notice her paused at the bottom of the stairs looking at one of our many family photos. specifically her eyes were on natasha. i wonder if they have a history or something. i can tell on her face she clearly recognises her. i clear my throat alreating her of my presence. she spins around terrified before maintaining an emotionless expression and staring at me.

"laura's made dinner if you would like to join us" i pointed back to where the kitchen and dining room was. she nods following behind me. the 3 of us take a seat around the table. i was at the end, laura on my left and y/n was a seat away from me on my right.

"feel better after your shower?" laura asked kindly after setting all the plates down. y/n nodded mumbling a thank you. eating the meal in silence i look over at y/n every now and again wondering when was a good time to ask her about nat.

y/n pov
"how do you guys know nat" i asked using her nickname thinking these people were close with her. if they were, then they would know she only lets her inner circle call her a nickname. then they would trust me enough to tell me how they knew her.

clint and laura share a look and i can tell they are thinking about what to say. "i work with her" clint answers simply

"she became an avenger" i asked shocked. i barely knew about the avengers. there was clint barton i knew that one hawkeye, there was stark, ironman, and steve rogers, captain america. that was all i knew. clint nodded looking at me wearily. i bit the inside of my lip nodding.

to say i was surprised would be an understatement. for 1 natalia does not work in teams. like never. she's stubborn and bossy and negative. are these all from when we were teens yes but do i refuse to believe natalia would change also yes.

"uh h-how do you know nat" laura asks. giving me her full attention.

"we knew each other from our past" i answer simply. hoping they drop it. it's not something i wanted to talk about. they seemed to catch on and didn't ask about her again.

the rest of dinner had few words. laura and clint tried to start a conversation more than once however i answered with short answers and didn't give much information. after dinner i collected all the plates walking over to the sink and began to wash up. with no discussion about it laura begins drying the dishes as clint puts them away.

"thank you really" i say not looking them in the eyes passing laura the last dish. without them i would be in the red rooms control still. for that i am truly thankful. and both laura and clint have been nothing but welcoming.

"it's okay y/n, we're here to help" clint reassures putting a hand on my shoulder

time skip an hour or so.

laura showed me up to a room i could stay in it was supposedly like a guest bedroom. as clint had to take an important work call. once i walked in i noticed a couple items placed around the room, obviously having belonged to someone.

"we are just down the hall if you need anything okay" once she's gone i walked around the room looking at all the things. 3 books sat on the bedside table, 1 true crime, 1 romance and another book called girl in pieces. a simple black lamp sat next to it. plain white bedsheets, doona and pillows sat neatly made on the bed. the wardrobe door was slightly open and there i could see a grey hoodie, black singlet top and a pair of black trackies. i have a feeling i know who's room this is.

walking over to the desk another book sat with a plain journal on top. a couple of pens sat in a cup and that was it for the room. very plain very simple room. of course it's natalia's.

i turn the main light off going my way in the dark until i managed to turn on the lamp. with nothing else to do and not overly tired i grab the top book, a girl in pieces. that's when i noticed all the sticky note tabs on the side of the book. flipping through the pages my fingers run along the small notes nat had made on the sides underlining parts and everything.

i flip back to the first page starting from the beginning to read. i read and look at all the notes she had made trying to figure out what all the different coloured tabs mean. i read into the early hours of the morning to intrigued in the book to put it down.

eventually i fall asleep unwillingly.

a/n
well can't wait till we meet nat again. that's gonna be interesting

legit 12:30 am rn