The Early Years

Amari and Zuko. Zuko and Amari. Ever since the Prince Ozai announced to the nation that Zuko has a future wife, when Zuko was four, the nation stopped offering their daughters to Prince Ozai.

Amari grew up in the palace. Her future husband and best friend, Zuko has always been with her since day one.

Amari had to train to be a soldier in the fire nation. She would train with the other soldiers and General Iroh.

Zuko always will love Amari, but will never be able to tell her.

One day when they were eight Azula brought Ty Lee and Mai to the palace to play.

Zuko and Amari were under a tree by the pond. Amari was reading and Zuko was feeding the turtle ducks. "Z?" The little Amari looks up from her book to see Zuko, "Yeah Mari?" He turns his the dark-haired girl. "Do you promise for us to be friends forever?" Zuko smiled at the girl, "Best friends forever!"

They talked for a few hours before heading back to the palace.

As they were walking Azula runs over to them, "Hey, we need to more people for this game." Zuko and Amari look at one another, "Do we have to?" The heterochromia girl said. "Yes! Now come on." As the princess walks away, they look and each other again and sigh.

Azula starts explaining the rules, "So all you have to do is copy the other person's moves. If you do you don't get a letter, but if you can't do it you get a letter. The team person to spell out fire loses. Any questions?" The overly hyper girl says, "Yeah, what are the teams and it's an odd number so it won't be fair?" Azula looks at everyone, "Mai, Me, and Ty Lee, against Amari, and Zuko."

They start off easy, Azula does a cartwheel, Amari does a cartwheel. They have been playing, when in was Mai and Zuko's turn, Azula whispered in her ear. They giggled and Mai did a triple fire roll. Zuko attempted it but failed, putting them at F-I-R tied with the other team.

Amari and Azula's turn came up next. Amari decided to do a hard fire bending move that Iroh had taught her, with white flames. No one had ever see white flames before. Only the rare blue, that she did normally.

"There." Said the powerful little girl, "Try and do that with, white flames. Azula." Azula looked at her with terror. She tried conjuring white flames but failed, then tried to do the move but failed.

"Okay fine you two win." Amari and Zuko smile and hug each other and walk away smiling knowing that Amari had got to Azula and put her in her place.

Zuko and Amari made their way to Zuko's room.

They fall asleep talking to each other. Happy in the arms of each other they drift into a deep sleep.

Ursa walks in her son's room looking for him and sees, him cuddled up with her future daughter in law. She smiles and closes the door.

-~-~-~-

Amari and Zuko where walking with Ursa after feeding the turtle ducks. Azula runs up to them again. "Mom, can Zuko and Amari play with us? We need two more people." Zuko turns to his sister, "I am not doing cartwheels," she rolls her eyes at her older brother. "Doing cartwheels isn't a game dumb dumb." Amari just rolls her eyes at Azula.

Ursa tells the two to go play with Azula and her friends. Amari wasn't paying any attention. Azula put an apple on her and Mai's head then lit them both. Zuko starts running at Amari and they both fall backwards into the fountain.

Azula and Ty Lee are laughing at them, "See Ty Lee. I told you that Zuzu would try and save Amari." Ty Lee frowns at that she lost the bet. "You two are just ugh." Mai says. 'Weird', Amari thinks.

They both get out of the fountain, "Sorry Mari," Zuko says scratching the back of his head. Amari smile and giggles at him, "It's okay Zuko. I have to go get ready for training, I'll see you later." But before Amari runs off to change she kisses Zuko on the cheek.

Ursa walks out of the palace and sees a soaking wet red in the face Zuko, "Uncle Iroh just sent a letter. Your soaking wet." Zuko groans and walks in the palace, "Girls are confusing," He mumbles.

-~-~-~-

Zuko, Amari and Azula are having fun, playing in the garden. Fire Lady Ursa gets handed a scroll, she looks at the kids with tears in her eyes. "Uncle Iroh's son, Lu Ten has died in the war, along with your mother Amari. I'm sorry."

Amari freezes on the spot. Tears welling in her eyes. Her mother and someone she looked up to like a older brother, gone. Amari runs off, "Mari!"

"Mari?" Zuko opens the door to Amari's room, "Oh Mari." The young prince sits down on the crying girl's bed.

Amari looks into Zuko's eyes and what she sees is sorrow and worry. How could she be so selfish, he was morning his older cousin as well.

Amari hugs Zuko and cries into his shoulder. "I'm sorry," Zuko whispers, "No, no," Amari pulls out of the hug, "I'm sorry, not even taking your feelings into consideration. Your cousin also died." Zuko shakes his head, "Amari, I love Lu Ten as a brother, but it's harder to lose a parent. She raised you to be her little soldier just like her. Honor her memory and remember the good times."

Amari looks at her best friend, and pulls him in for another hug. The two fall asleep holding one another for comfort with the losses that they just experienced.

-~-~-~-

The next day Amari had to go see Fire Lord Azulon, because she is going to be apart of that family she had no choice.

After changing her clothes she meets with Zuko and the rest outside of the throne room.

They all sit down and Ozai starts making Azula show off. "Now for your granddaughter in law. She has the most powerful fire in the whole nation." Zuko grabs Amari hand for comfort and protection.

Fire Lord Azulon looks intrigued, He hums, "What color is your fire?" "It's white firelord." Azulon raises his eyebrows, "Can you show me?" "Of course firelord."

Amari does her favorite and most complex moves. Ending it she bows before Azulon's throne. She looks up into his eyes, "You my child are a true prodigy. Someone very special and more powerful then the entire fire nation combined."

Ozai wanted to talk to his father alone, but Azula and Zuko stayed to eavesdrop on them. Amari waiting in Zuko's room. Zuko tells her everything.

At night Amari and Zuko are shaken awake by Ursa. "Zuko. Everything I've done, I've done to protect you. Amari, please look after my son and never give up on that fire inside of you." Zuko and Amari hear that and drift back to sleep.

-~-~-~-

Amari's mother had her funeral a few weeks later.

Fire Lord Azulon died and Ozai became the next Fire Lord as his dying wish.

Amari comforted Zuko and he comforted her. That night that Lady Ursa came into his room she disappeared.

Ever since Amber, Amari's mother, died she became cold and closed off to everyone, but Zuko. Amber, and Ursa were the ones who always supported her, and not they're both gone.

From all of the hard, excruciating training she received scars on her face, all but one. Amari never complained or quit if it was to hard. She knew people out in the world had it worse than she did.