Chapter five: Lightning

Amari woke up to a heavy arm over her waist, and someone nuzzled up to her neck. Zuko's cuddling up to me! Amari tries to get out of his grasp, but he only tightens his grip around her.

She realizes that she can't escape his grip and she falls back asleep.

The next time she wakes up Zuko's arm is no longer around her and she sees Zuko looking over Iroh.

She gets up and checks his bandages. He didn't bleed through so it's not infected. That's good. She turns to see Zuko already looking at her.

He looks away blushing. She silently giggles and gets up. "Where are you going?" He asks her, "Just to take a walk. I'll be back." He nods and she walks away.

-~-~-~-

Amari walks back to the campsite seeing Iroh awake and talking with Zuko.

"Hey, how are you?" She asks Iroh. "I'm doing okay. Thank you for your help Amari." She smiles warmly at him. "I'll always help you Iroh." He nods and goes back to talking with Zuko.

Amari was sitting and listening to Iroh. Lightning is a dangerous force. It's powerful. Amari can create lightning and redirect. She learned how to redirect thanks to Iroh's help. It feels like water bending, but one wrong move and it could be your last.

Iroh demonstrates lightning. Amari looks at Zuko's face, he looks amazed. "I'm ready to try it!"

-~-~-~-

The three firebenders are still working on Zuko's lightning. He explodes again. Amari sucks in a breath as he gets launched off his feet, again.

"Why can't I do it! Instead of lightning it keeps exploding in my face, like everything always does."

Amari sees the sad and angry face that is Zuko. She sighs and gets up. "Zuko. The reason it's exploding is because your fueling it off of anger. Like Iroh said it's the purest form of firebending."

Amari took a deep breath, she started doing elaborate exercises that started to accumulate a crimson color of lightning.

Zuko looked at her in awe. She moved so gracefully then shot her lightning at a bolder twenty feet away.

The bolder exploded, she took another deep breath. She turned back to Zuko, "I used the breath and pure thoughts to conjure that lightning."

The Fire Prince glances at the rock turned into rubble and then back to the heterochromia girl.

"How do you have red lightning?" Amari looks down empty. "The same way I have white fire. Because of hard, ruthless, and excruciating training."

Zuko's eyes now hold pity, fear and despair for the girl standing in front of him.

Iroh sighs placing a hand in Amari's shoulder. "Amari is right nephew. I was afraid this might happen. You will not be able to master lightning until you have dealt with the turmoil inside you."

The prince looked confused at his uncle, "What turmoil?" Iroh looks at his nephew, "Zuko, you must let go of your feelings of shame if you want your anger to go away."

"But I don't feel any shame at all. I'm as proud as  ever." Iroh sighs softly, "Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame, but its the source. True humility is the only antidote to shame."