Chapter 174: The Black Tea

(This chapter is universal between endings 2 and 3)

Everyone in the sorcery room sat down around Edward as he elaborated on his findings. Fleur in particular was extremely restless, "So you're saying Rou was under the black tea? That can't be right...", she remarked, staring at the vampire. Rou gave his confirmation, "If you mean the tea I brew with the blue petals, I'm sad to say Edward is right...", he elaborated. Edward narrowed his eyes in pity at the capo. "How could he get hold of something so dangerous?", she demanded, continuing what was turning into an interrogation.

"Viper would be one who'd able to acquire the tea, but there's a far more plausible explanation.", said Edward. Viper added on with a hard expression. "I don't keep that stuff anywhere near my potions! It's made of the illusive blue rose, known to gradually eradicate the spirits of anyone who consumed its essence.", she explained. "Then what sneaky fiend is responsible for this idiocy?", questioned Shiva.

"I'm afraid the situation is a lot more nuanced than most of us expected. However, my research has determined that Rou must've obtained the black tea during his time in the Renegard Syndicate, and there's one woman in particular that loves tampering with the minds of her victims...", Edward started, informing everyone about his findings. Edward took a deep breath, focusing on his emotionless expression. "Most of us are aware that...", he began before stopping.

"Yes, the mad woman did work in our syndicate before starting her own, and I'm afraid to say that she and Rou have a rather intertwined past...", he uttered. "She is...no, we were never friends, and I'm afraid she's extremely dangerous...", stammered Rou. "The reason she took advantage of me is because she's actually my mother...", he said, saddened by his naivety. "I just wish I wasn't so vulnerable, that I wasn't in that fragile state and I could've defended myself...".

Demitris wrapped an arm around Rou, "Rou, you can't control who you're related to, but you can control who you see as family. All of us love and support you. We accept you, with or without trauma". Edward looked softly at the pair before putting his hand over his face in self disappointment, "I'm so sorry, all of this is my fault, from not looking after such young capos, to even allowing Eve to become so restless. Please, allow me to explain...". Craaq and Fleur offered him a seat on the last chair in the room, "Of course, Sir.", Craaq said calmly.

They all remained seated, staring at Edward as if he were their lifeline. His black eyes shone with a strong stare, everyone knew what they were hiding, and it was possible that what the boss was about to say had the same weight, "I'm afraid that the knowledge of Eve's past may open up the wounds of the syndicate that I've tried so hard to close that other wounds have come up from places I have no idea how to find the source of, but I must admit, I am partially at fault for what happened...".

Fleur's heart sank with her boss's concern, "Sir Edward, you could never do wrong to me, you even made it seem like all our crimes were justified, but now I see that you too feel doubt. If telling us about Rou's condition, about Eve will help us, then I'm going to listen!". Edward caringly glimpsed at the elf girl when he began his reflection, "Eve was a student when we first met, I highly regarded her as my superior in those early times. She was studying for her PhD, so she was quite a bit older than me, even having a young child, and another on the way...".

Rou interrupted, "Wait, so you knew me before I was even born?", he questioned, puzzled by this revelation, "I thought we met when I was 15 and I saved your life...", he added, forever attached to the memory with fluctuating fondness. "All will be explained in a moment, things will fall into place for you as they did for me...", responded Edward. He continued, "Things were looking up for Eve, she was a year away from becoming the first female chemist of her time, she gave birth to two beautiful baby boys, but all that changed in one night...".

"What happened?", uttered Demitris. Edward answered with much expression, "My father, this syndicate's predecessor was a heartless man, favoured power over the values of equality that the original syndicate preached. He was very abhorred by the fact that I, his heir, was friends with an outside person, let alone a firecracker like Eve, and the night I finally invited her to tea at this mansion after 2 years of reluctance, my father bit her...".

"So my mother is a turned vampire?", asked Rou. "Indeed, days after that incident, I used my ability in anger, I forced my father, who I once respected to go out into the sun, never to be seen again. As the man in charge, I offered to initiate Eve, who was receiving much discrimination upon her transformation, and sadly she had to leave you and Lin behind because it just wasn't safe...". Fleur had a query, "But if you were so kind, why did Eve form her own syndicate?".

"Initially, we got along better than ever, she was my first pick to become my underboss and we made a good team. However, every few months, she longed to see her children again and I refused out of fear of her endangerment. Every request became more and more desperate, until one day she realised that after 5 years, they wouldn't recognise her. To cope with the pain, she brewed a drink from the blue roses in the garden, the black tea. This is what started her rage."

"So my mother went through the same changes as me?", pondered Rou. "Yes.", answered Edward. "During the day, tensions rose between us, until eventually she couldn't take my company anymore. At first I thought she'd forgotten about her children, which is why I visited your village when I did, but upon your kidnapping, I realise that her desires were the same, but her spirits had faded to nothing...".

"This explains everything...", Rou cried. "I couldn't escape this, Lin was a monster because he was old enough to remember our mother's disappearance. The syndicate wasn't destiny, it was a favour, a favour that led me to putting up a front. Do you understand what I went through?!". Edward held down Rou, peering into his tortured eyes, "Rou, I can't express how much of a fool I was for allowing you to feel such heart breaking anguish. If there's anything I can do-".

Before Edward finished his sentence, a servant burst through the door, "Sir, there's intruders in the mansion!", they yelled. "What?! Did any of you know about this?", asked the boss to the room. "That's what we were going to tell you, you just had baggage you had to deal with...", Fleur reached out to her adoptive father, "I should've told you from the start. God, I'm so paranoid!", she commented. Edward's lips trembled, "Fleur, we all have baggage, and I think all of us need to be free of it.", he stated. The girl quivered with tears in her eyes, "Just know that what you're about to find out will shake you to the core...".