Chapter 178: How It Was Meant To Be

Meanwhile, Demitris dragged Aster and Fleur up the stairs, his sights set on one particular room. "I hope that we have enough manpower to bring whatever force is in there down.", he muttered to himself. "You know, I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight.", Aster said, a little nervous. "I'm sure we'll be fine.", Demitris replied. "We won't be taking this on alone, and we have backup if things get serious.", he said, turning to the pair.

At last, they almost reached the top of the staircase, and Demitris proceeded toward the room ahead of himwhen he found himself bumping into a chest. "Careful there!", the man exclaimed. The red haired man looked up from the penultimate step to see Rou looking down at him. "Oh, hey Rou! Didn't expect you to join us, nice to see you again after a while.", Aster remarked. Rou stroked his chin, "Nice to see you too, Aster; but I have a favour to ask. Can I borrow Demitris for a few minutes?", he questioned. "Of course.", replied Fleur.

The young man proceeded in with Rou. They soon arrived at a secluded bay window in thd east wing of the mansion. "Fleur and I used to sit and talk here often back in my soldier days, it's good for private conversation.", Rou remarked. Demitris blushed upon the nature of the interaction, "P-private?", he stammered. Rou rubbed Demitris's thigh and edged closer to him, "It's something that has to be done, considering everything that's happened between us...".

"A-after all that time, all the times I tried, we've managed to establish a relationship that neither of us expected.", Demitris managed to say, closing the distance between him and the capo. "You said you needed something from me, I'm happy to accept it after all this came into such a beautiful reality...", sighed Demitris. "Well, I wouldn't call it beautiful, it's a rather risky request...", uttered Rou. "I'm all ears", the young man replied.

"I have plans in mind, but they may clash with yours...", the capo confessed, leaving Demitris's grip and lowering himself to the ground. "Demitris, you're all I have. Without you, I probably wouldn't be alive at this moment, so why must you put yourself in a position of harm?", he lamented. Demitris clasped Rou's cheek, "I'm putting myself in harm's way to help the syndicate, I'm sure you understand. I'm fighting for you, Rou.".

"And I'm fighting for you, Demitris, but my heart aches seeing you get hurt.", Rou countered. "I love you, I really don't want to hurt your feelings, I don't want to take away the relief I've already given you, but this threat, it could turn our bonding hearts to mere spirits of us. Vox could ruin everything...". Rou's face immediately screwed up, and Demitris couldn't bring himself to snap back, but looking in his eyes, he saw the tears of a man forced to hide, even without Rou verbalising his thoughts.

"Vox is not one to bring your wrath upon, he's no less harmful than boss.", the blue haired man claimed, sauntering to a tea set on the side table. "Care for tea?", he asked Demitris. "You're trying to change the subject, what makes you think that Vox, considered a traitor among most of this organisation is even half as respectful as the boss?", responded the soldier. Rou completely brushed off the man, "No tea then? That's a shame, I guess there's more for me then.", he said in a delusion.

Rou stirred the hot beverage, before shaking in what seems like a mix of herbs and spices from his pocket. Demitris couldn't believe it, "Rou, you did hear what Edward said, didn't you?", he asked worriedly. "You know you shouldn't drink that stuff!", he continued to call out, but Rou remained ignorant. "Demitris, many things are constant, the turmoil, our love, this tea. No matter which way you look at it, whether for or against, it's inevitable. This is how it was meant to be.".

Demitris stared at Rou in disbelief, "You...don't really think that way. Do you?", he murmured. No matter where Rou's mind turned, it lead to one place, never the answer. He couldn't even gather the speech to attempt one before the rebellion began again. The sounds of more footsteps, could more backup be arriving. Both men sensed something in the atmosphere, eventually smelling it, a smoky aroma, all too familiar to both. Could it be?