Chapter 194: Epilogue

15 years later...

Years after the disaster, winter in the syndicate seemed almost the same from the outside. A cold wind swept across the land, carrying the snow from the mountains, causing the frozen plains to shiver with each passing gust. The snowflakes on the mansion glistened as the sun touched them. Gazing through the window, Rou stared out in attempted admiration at the snowy landscape, but could only see grey.

Over the years, his hairline had receded and he let the stubble poke out of his cheeks. His eyes were tired and sunken beneath heavy bags which accentuated the lines around them. His once bright green eyes had become dull, devoid of any sparkle whatsoever. His hands and mouth were constantly covered in a layer of frost. He stood there motionless, his thoughts drifting away far away from that place. It was all a blur. Until those dreary thoughts were interrupted...

"Rou, the boss has orders for you...", a voice called out from behind the large blue haired man. Turning around, he saw Craaq clutching a note in his hands. Snatching the paper with great force, Rou read the note, before swiftly dropping it on the floor. "The lazy bitch...", he mumbled bitterly under his breath as grumbled. "Is there anything wrong, Rou?", Craaq enquired, his teeth chattering giving away his fear. "I'm fine...", the taller male scowled before storming off.

Rou's footsteps echoed loudly along the long hallway of rooms until they stopped abruptly outside of a door. Raising a fist, Rou pounded furiously upon the wooden surface before pushing his foot forward, kicking open the entrance. There stood a Demitris, cloaked in in a red trimmed robe. Those amber eyes looked up, blinking at the sudden appearance of another person. "Rou...", he muttered, before rushing to embrace his lover, leaving a deep kiss on his cheek. When he pulled away, the Demitris was surprised to notice a frown etched onto his husband's face. "What did the boss tell you?", he inquired. The other male looked down before speaking again, "None of your business...".

The smaller male sighed, "We're married, my love...you should tell me things, like what assignments you're getting and...and...", he trailed off as Rou averted his eyes, the room growing silent. The utter stillness was interrupted by Rou pouring a cup of blue tea. "I'm practically the boss of this place ever since she got promoted after Edward's retirement. She's not been the same since Aster died...". He sat down in one of the chairs, sipping on his tea, his gaze locked on the dark liquid as he waited for an answer. After several minutes, Demitris broke the silence again. "You're right...I'm sorry...", he whispered in an unusually soft tone of voice. "Not everything's your fault...", Rou countered.

"But it is, I practically killed him with my ability all those years ago...", the ruby haired man cried. "And look at you, I never got the love I expected, it's just a bitter shell of the thoughts of my youth...", he added. Rou sat down, making direct eye contact with Demitris as he caressed him. The warmth was like a drug for his husband, that remained even as his words broke his heart, "It's a made up story Demitris, don't get your hopes up that it's going to get better...". Rou got up, keeping his faded green eyes fixed on Demitris, "I'm going to see the boss...", he murmured, leaving faster than he arrived.

After traversing the corridors, Rou approached the office of Fleur, entering without knocking. The man's eyes widened at the sight of the woman standing in front of the desk, she had lost that innocence and blind optimism of her teenage years, replaced with an bottomless pit of depression. The man cleared his throat, calling her name softly. As Fleur turned around, her eyes grew wide as they met with Rou, who offered her a small nod, "How have you been?". The female nodded hesitantly, "Fine...", she replied in a monotone voice

Rou noticed that Fleur hadn't changed a bit, her features were the same, but she seemed so detached, as if the soul had left her body completely, like her true spirit has left with Aster's years ago. "Have you assassinated the Lord of the Lowpeak mansion like you were ordered to?", Rou queried. Rou shook his head, "No...he was taken care of earlier tonight...", he explained quietly. Fleur frowned, her eyes narrowing suspiciously, "So someone else has killed him...", elf girl stated as she hung her head low. Rou exhaled sharply in annoyance. "Catoria got to him first...".

"At least she's using that eternal youth well...", Fleur commented bitterly as she folded her arms across her chest. "That bitch...", Rou grunted, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Don't blame her...", Fleur protested, "She's only trying to protect the others...", she continued as Rou shook his head disapprovingly. Fleur continued, "If Vox were still alive, I'd slaughter him if he became paralysed....", she muttered. "I personally would run from threats unless I was called upon specifically, but if that's how greif driven minds work, then so be it...".

"How are the rest of them?", Fleur snapped, stopping Rou's infuriating tangent from lasting longer than it needs to be. "Viper is taking care of the lower level criminals...forever a capo, yet getting more violent by the year...", he revealed while gesturing towards the empty chair beside him. Rou sat down, crossing his legs as he rested his elbows on the arm rests. "Craaq has reminded me, he's a rather good consigliere if you bothered to read my reports once in awhile...", he added sarcastically, scowling.

"And Demitris? Is he faring well as a caporegime after that failed attempt under my predecessor?", she asked as she lifted her chin. Rou paused for a moment as he pondered over the question, "You need to stop making him work, he's become a hermit within our quarters since we married...". Fleur sighed, heading back to her chair, "He'll adjust in time...". "You think?", Rou asked cynically as he watched Fleur sit back down, a ticked off expression on his face. "You're probably too busy thinking about Aster to care!..".

The statement struck Fleur to her core, "I got through my mind to no avail, looking for a reason to care about anything else! Maybe Edward was right, death is a criminal's delight!", she yelled angrily, glaring at her underboss. "I've spent years working tirelessly for this family...but nothing satisfies you! Do you want to know why? It isn't this 'greif' you refer to, it's because you do nothing!", Rou snapped, storming off. Fleur didn't get up, only watching as her once loyal friend left the meeting, "Come back when you remember who you're talking to..."

As the meeting concluded, Rou made his way back to his quarters, the sun hung low in a painted orange sky, illuminating the clouds that surrounded it. Its fleeting warmth reached that same small town and the secluded mansion on the hillside adjacent to it. Within the mansion, another day ended within the notorious crime syndicate, full of the rebels and rejects of society.

 Within the mansion, another day ended within the notorious crime syndicate, full of the rebels and rejects of society