Chapter 189: Ungraspable Reasons

Time stood still, and all remained unknown at the appearance of the vampire. "Sir Edward, I thought you were...", Fleur expressed. It was as if emotion blocked speech, and that everything stood on the boss's next words. Letting Demitris get to his feet, he ventured forth towards Vox, his heart sinking with each step, in perfect sync with the tides of the fight. Hopeful looks became abundant, the four rebels almost smiling at the thought of winning; but once Edward and Vox were breathing distance away from each other, their beckon of faith turned back.

"Why?".

A single word in a single sentence, that's all it took, all it took to see his side. Aster and Fleur, Rou and Demitris, they were fighting an uphill battle, but was it meaningless? Was it all a sham of love? Misplaced desire? "Is that all you have to say Eddie boy?!", Vox chuckled, his voice overwhelming to most who hear him. With all signs of attack becoming inevitable, Aster screamed. "We fought so hard for the syndicate, YOUR syndicate! What do you do? NOTHING!".

His eyes burned with hate, rage coursing through him, fuelling his courage. He stared Edward down, letting his blank response power his words, "And this isn't enough!? You think this torture isn't enough!?" As his fists shook and trembled with wrath, he saw nothing but himself and Vox, his legs plundering towards his enemy by vengeance alone. "Aster! What are you doing?!", yelled Demitris, trying to get through to him. It was no use, the boy was blind. Even as Fleur reached out, tears falling from her eyes, he still didn't listen, he was too far gone.

Vox willingly took Aster in stride, entering into close combat for the sake of fuelling him, the others merely watching in anticipation of his bitter end. "I can slay this child whenever I want. This could go on for a second, a minute, eternity if see fit.", the fae announced. He then turned to his opponent, beaming with menacing ecstasy, "Aster Orocha, I can take you out with one strike. Do you truly feel the threat of death? Of losing everything? Of your entire existence being reduced to nothingness?".

Listening to the torture, the hell of Aster, Edward finally stepped in. "THAT'S ENOUGH!", he interfered. "What's wrong, Eddie boy?", Vox chuckled. "I hate to admit it, but you're the most ungrateful man I've ever met, let alone taken to my bed! This uprising, it's my doing. I was ignorant to your manipulation...". The young fighter were in shock at their superior, he was finally standing up for himself.

Vox was unamused, "You know I could kill you right here...", he said, as if the boss was but another servant to him, utterly ignoring the many times he was willingly intimate with him. With no emotion whatsoever, the green man flapped his wings and aimed to charge at his former lover, but he was suddenly stopped in his tracks, a purple aura surrounding him. "I hate to do this...", Edward sighed. "However, you've made things impossible for me, for them. I demand you summon what they need to win, or you'll lose your life as I lost mine!".

"How unspeakably vague!", remarked Vox, assuming Edward to be ridiculous, but then his hand rose, as if subconsciously performing the action himself. "Why, why are you doing this? You love me, Edward...", the fae struggled. The scene was taken over by an overwhelming green light as Vox's power emanated. Edward was kind with his command, he could've killed the traitorous creature on the spot, but that small amount of love that remained inside him had dampened his spell, a spell that could guarantee a victory, or hinder it completely.

Within the dreamscape, Sulena's legs were still shaking, exhaustion flowing through her as if it were her only purpose. "It's still raining...", she murmured. Her body was soaked, and the realisation of why arachnids hated rain slowly set in. The woman racked her brains, thinking of some way to get in the house, any way to get shelter at all. "Humans live in houses...", she thought. Then the answer hit her, "Spiders...they live on webs!", she revelled out loud, despite the fact no one else was there.

Swifty, she began to build her own home, coiling her silky cobwebs as tightly as she can. A few strands broke and unraveled, but soon it seemed like she had gathered enough material. She worked as quickly as she could and soon she had woven a shelter big enough to stay comfortably dry. Sulena smiled warmly to herself as she finally caught her breath, resting her sore limbs within the entanglement of fibre she had created. Soon enough, she had almost drifted off, but that wouldn't last much longer, as her world turned green by mysterious magic.

At the same time, Viper followed the mysterious woman's voice through the depths of the maze-like world she had landed on. "Viper...it's not your time, it repeated. Her tone sounded familiar, as if she'd heard it for years during her past. Surely she remembered who it was, right? The witch continued to wander, but whoever it was kept getting quieter, then louder, then quieter again. Viper stopped in her tracks, focusing harder than she ever had since before she left the syndicate. Soon, the name came to her, and she stood up straight, ready to call it.

"Violet!", she yelled, hoping she would answer. "Viper...", her lover's voice replied softly. Viper grinned, then turned and walked forward, knowing exactly where she would be. But she wasn't surprised when the sounds grew distant, and a soft voice echoed through her head, "I'm so glad to hear from you.". A tear fell from the witch's eye, "Where had you been?", she asked, unable to think straight because her heart beat at a godlike speed. "You don't want to know where I've been...", she answered.

Viper's smile quickly turned to a frown, and Violet's features faded away. "Wait! I need to know where you've gone!",
she pleaded. Violet's response didn't waver, "It's too late to ask. I'm sorry.", her voice was sorrowful now. "VIOLET!!", Viper screamed. There was a loud crash. "Viper..", Violet whispered, and her face became visible once more. "I'll come to you...", she said solemnly, before disappearing once again. Viper sobbed hard and raw, but soon her emotions would be meaningless, as the green took over her world too.

Sulena and Viper became liberated. However, Shiva, Craaq and Kiara remained trapped, unable to solve the puzzle of the dreamscape. As Vox forcefully drew out his power, the rebels figured out what was happening. The rest of their allies' pasts stayed untouched, closure stayed unreachable for their seemingly feeble minds, and the truth stayed hidden. The world was going to unfold something for them, whether that be for the better, or by fae standards, for the absolute worst.