THREE: discount.

JAMES NOW SAT down in front of Eddie, looking up at him as the other just fidgets with his rings. "You look cute." Eddie grins and James just stared at him blankly, crossing his arms. "Shut up." He murmured and Eddie just smiled even wider if that were even possibly, glancing down at the table.

"So, what did you wanna talk about?" He finally asked, looking up at James again and the green eyed male just glanced around. "I--I just wanted to say I'm sorry... for how things went between us. I was, uh, a--a total asshole." He said as he rested his arms on top of the table and Eddie just softly nodded, staring as his face grew all serious all of the sudden.

"I mean... you were calling it like it was, Jamie... you weren't completely wrong, you know?" He says and James shook his head. "No, I--I think I was just jealous you knew what you wanted with your life, and... I had no idea about my part, like where I fit into your equation of your future or anyone else's, you know? I felt like I didn't belong in your future." He said and Eddie suddenly reached over, clasping his hand over James'. "Whether or not you did fit into my future or not, like you said, I would've always made space for you, Jamie." He said quietly, smiling softly at him.

James glanced up into those cute brown eyes and just smiled faintly before glancing down. "Anyway, it all worked out in the end, right?" He said as he retracted his hand and Eddie did the same, pulling his away. "Yeah. Totally..." The Munson nods. Four years and James still gives Eddie that same feeling in his chest when they look into one another's eyes.

"So... friends?" James held out his hand and Eddie chuckled, clasping his own onto the taller's. "Of course, Jamie." He says and at every other usage of his nickname, James' heart leaps and his smile grows fonder. Robin had paired her and Eddie together for the day and James with Steve. It was a little odd but neither James or Eddie said anything.

"So, why English teacher?" Steve suddenly asked and James looked over, taken back by the question as they stocked up the supply room together, Eddie and Robin were at the front counter and serving customers. "Oh, um, I guess cause I like writing and want to become a best selling author, but teacher seems like an easier job." James shrugs.

"I actually... took a course about it, and I'm getting a good recommendation letter for a publishing firm." Steve glanced over and James furrows his brows, looking at him. "You're... in publishing?" He asked and Steve shrugs. "Will be once the summer is over." He turned back around and James nods.

"Oh..." He turned back away and they just stood in silence. "Why publishing then, Steve-o?" He asked, copying Robin's nickname for him and Steve glanced over quickly. His face is red and James doesn't notice as he kept stocking the top shelf since he was the only one able to reach it. "No reason in particular, really, as I've said, I only went with Rob and picked something random." He shrugs timidly and James nods softly before sighing.

"I'm done. You?" He looked over and Steve quickly looks at him. "Almost. I'll be out in a bit." He says and James leaves before leaving and entering the break room, grabbing his phone. Eddie entered then and there, sighing, "can you take over the front with Robin? I'm getting sick of all the annoying sticky kids." He sighed and James hums, nodding.

"Yeah, sure, I--I'll go." His eyes stayed glued to his phone so Eddie went over, grabbing his phone. "Eddie," James looked up quickly and tried to grab it back. "No, I worked nearly two whole hours now at the front! It's your turn!" He said and James wasn't sure why he was struggling so much to grab the phone back, he's so much taller and stronger than Eddie, and then the two stopped all of the sudden because Eddie's back is pinned to the wall and James is towering over him.

"Um, here..." Eddie pressed the phone into James' chest, biting back a smile of seeing the wallpaper being the cover of the album The Queen is Dead by the Smiths. "Thank you." James sighed, grabbing his phone as Eddie looked up at him. James glanced at him in the eyes then someone cleared their throat so the two immediately glanced over. "Sorry." James apologized, for no reason, quickly to Steve as he backed away from Eddie.

"I'm gonna go work the front counter because a co-worker of mine is super bossy." He said pointedly at Eddie who just grins, a teasing one as James rolled his eyes and left the break room. "Sorry, man." Eddie apologized, also for no reason, when he looked at Steve. "No, it's okay... just, uh, wanted to have my break in peace." Steve said and plopped down onto the break room couch as Eddie just glanced around, feeling awkward so suddenly.

At the counter, James can practically feel the stares coming from Robin Buckley as they served customer after customer who came and went, or sat down to enjoy their ice cream, milkshake, shit, even coffee or whatever it was they ordered from the menu.

"What is it, Robin?" He finally asked, looking over and the Buckley quickly turned her head away. "No, nothing, Jamie, nothing..." She says and he just stares at her side profile with a stare at the girl before quickly glancing away as the bell above the door went off and James reached up, snatching the hat off his head when he recognize Jonathan walk in, Argyle and Nancy following behind him.

"Oh, my God." James whispers as the trio walk over with goofy grins on their faces. "Hi James..." Jonathan says, smiling more smugly now as Argyle is giggling and Nancy had a wide tight-lipped smile on her face, glancing at Robin at the side every five seconds. The Buckley had gotten flustered and headed to the break room a bit awkwardly as James sighs.

"Ahoy! What can I get you?" He asked, crossing his arms and Nancy giggled now, looking down as Argyle and Jonathan join her laughter. "Okay, har-har, laugh it up! It's just a summer job to make some money before I move back." He shrugged and Jonathan sighs. "Okay, okay, jokes aside, I think this job is really nice for your... aesthetic." He gestured around at James who rolled his eyes.

"You're not getting the family discount."

"I am hurt, James!"

authors note
the byers-hopper family 🥹🥹
i would die for them

+ i had such a nice birthday, my parents got home not long ago and gave me my birthday present <3 it's a good day :)