THIRTY-FOUR: the emptiness.

JAMES HAD FOUND the booklet from under a book he suggested to El who brought it back, bringing over to the bed where he sat at the end of it and Steve came to sit by him. "Is it what I think it is?" The Harrington asked with a smile and the Hopper extends it out to him. "Yeah... it's my book. The title is still TBD." He sighs and Steve grabs it anyway.

"Well, where have I left off," He sighed and James pointed. "I left a little sticky note where you last read it." He said and Steve flips to the tenth chapter, seeing that there was so much more after. "Can... I take it home if I'm not done after tonight?" He asked James now who nodded. "Of course... it's the first draft anyway and kind of rough so I'd have to work on it anyway. I won't need it." He says and Steve nods, looking at the book.

"Can I ask... um, why?" Steve now looks up and James furrows his brows. "Why what?" He asked and Steve shrugs. "You said you finished chapter ten so long ago, like back in May, that you had a bit of writer's block... and now you're like 25 chapters into the book?" He says and James shrugs, looking away. "A burst of inspiration..." He merely explains and Steve looks away, nodding softly.

Steve read from chapters ten to fifteen in one sitting all while James sipped his beer and waited patiently. "I'm guessing the burst of inspiration was you reflecting on how you felt about you and Eddie?" The Harrington spoke up so suddenly as he closed the booklet, putting the sticky note on where he left off. "Sort of." James sighed but clearly didn't wanna get too into it as he moved to lay down. Steve set down the book and followed his action so they're both staring up at the glow in the dark stickers on the ceiling of the room.

James moves up a bit to flick off the lamp on his bedside table. The stars glow brighter and Steve gulps softly. "We didn't... I thought that we'd have the red string I mentioned. But, uh, I might be wrong all this time. Maybe I'll find him one day, I know he's out there, you know, like... the one, or whatever." Jame says and Steve couldn't help but giggle.

"I'm sorry. I just," he turns to look at James despite the fact it's completely dark. "You never striked me as someone who'd believe in like fate or whatever, it's still a little mind boggling." He says and James chuckled. "Yeah... I--I never did, honestly, not since my mom left my dad, my bio mom. And then, uh, you know, my new mom met my dad. And I actually believed in it again. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to find it." James turns to look at Steve as well, by now their visions have adjusted to the darkness and can make out the outlines of their faces. James' darted down to Steve's lips, wishing they had gotten their turn while they were playing spin the bottle.

He wonders if Steve had felt the same way but the Harrington just slowly turned his head away, letting out a soft sigh. "I can relate with that... I've practically been searching for something, anything to fill the emptiness I feel." Steve says quietly, a lump forming in his throat as the situation with him and James are just like all the other ones, clearly one sided.

"We both clearly have not been hugged or loved enough as a child." James says as if it were the most casual thing to ever say as Steve laughs, leaning closer until his head landed against the taller's shoulder. "Sorry, is this okay?" He whispers and James hums. "Of course." He said quietly and suddenly reached out, resting his hand over Steve's waist.

Neither say a word, just lay there with Steve's head against James' shoulder and his hand ontop of his chest as James held his waist gently in one hand. "You're always there to pick me up." The Hopper mumbled suddenly while in their embrace and Steve hums. "Of course, Jamie..." He whispered, getting comfortable and sleepy there in his embrace.

"Stevie," James mumbled and Steve hums. "I'm tired." He replied quietly, his eyes are closed and he feels... so safe. In James' arms. Under his cute little glow in the dark stars. Steve never felt more home than he does here in the Hopper's bedroom, in his home.