SIXTEEN: platonic soulmates.

JUST AS STEVE expected, he got zero alone time with James but it was fine, he was drinking it all away. Liquid courage was his excuse but really he was just trying to get rid of how shitty he'd been feeling literally all night over James and... his oblivion.

All of them were kind of drunk, except for Argyle he just smoked another doobie before coming in to join everyone else in the party. Tina's parties were definitely still as fun as ever. Steve wandered around the party the whole time then found Tommy and Carol in the kitchen. "Harrington is here?!" The freckled man exclaimed and whooped as he rushed over to Steve and grabbed him by the face before planting a kiss to his cheek.

"Tommy," Steve laughed, struggling to push him away as Carol came over. "We missed you!" She said and threw her arms around him, now he had two of his old friends in his arms and he's struggling to not drop his beer. "I missed you guys too..." He said, smiling as Carol just grinned widely at him now.

In the other room, directly beside the kitchen, James was failing to pay attention to something a girl was telling him about as he was busy watching Steve who had Tommy and Carol at his sides, practically giggling and fawning over him. "Are you even listening?" James looked at Tina to his right side. "Yeah. Tina, that's great you work in children education now, but, uh, I gotta go... somewhere, see you around, you're still an amazing party host!" James brushed past other people before reaching the kitchen, where Carol was touching Steve's hair and Tommy was snug under Steve's arm, his head on the Harrington's shoulder.

"Hey." He said, picking up a bottle, "oh, hey, James." Steve practically slinked away to the other side of the kitchen, away from Carol and Tommy. "Hey Tommy... Carol..." James nods to them and the redheaded girl is smiling, leaning against the counter in the middle where all then bottles and drinks were. "No, Carol. Before you say anything, no. Still gay as ever." James said and Carol just pouted.

"I kind of forgot... sorry." She said then suddenly she was off to another part of the house. "So, what have you been doing for the past four years?" Tommy said as he came to stand on the other side of the counter. "Studying English." James blatantly replied because quite frankly, he didn't wanna talk to Tommy, he came in here only to talk to Steve. "Oh, that's cool. You still read and like write books? Steve, Jon and I use to think that you were like such a nerd." Tommy chuckled.

James glanced at Steve then looked back at Tommy. "Yeah... totally." He said then raised his cup to take a sip, avoiding Steve now. "Yeah, we use to like make fun of you all the time, Jonathan would tell us about--" "Tommy. Can you just leave?" Steve interrupted as quick as he could and Tommy just laughs. "Okay, fine, jeez. I gotta go find Carol anyway." He said before he left and James is pouring himself another drink. "I'm sor--" "I don't care..." James quickly interrupts him.

"But still... I'm sorry." Steve murmured and James glanced at him. "Over time, those sort of become meaningless words for me..." He said and blankly stared at the countertop as Steve sighed. "James--" "Jamie?" Eddie and Rhys enter the kitchen and he quickly looks over. "What are you two doing here?" James asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Robby texted an SOS?" Eddie said, confused as James just stepped closer and wrapped his arms around Eddie. Rhys glanced between them then at Steve who just nodded to him and looked away, pouring a drink. "You okay?" Eddie asked in a soft voice as James just kept hugging him, his eyes are closed.

"Yeah." He murmured and Eddie rubs his back, glancing at Rhys over James' shoulder as the blond is pouring himself a drink. "Make me one too." He whispered and Rhys chuckled, grabbing another cup. "Can we talk for a bit?" James mumbled as he pulls back from Eddie who just nods. "Yeah, sure thing..." He glanced at Steve now and saw the Harrington failing to meet his eyes then looked at Rhys who held out the red solo cup for Eddie.