Chapter 17

The four boys made their way back to the Observation room to go over their Battle Trial. Izuku, Kirishima, and Mairu were in good spirits, though Kirishima was a little down that he wasn't able to compete against Izuku. He tried to say it wasn't manly that he could barely put up a fight, but both Izuku and Mairu lifted his spirits. Mairu pointed out how well Kirishima always did against him, and there were very few things that could outlast Kirishima.

Izuku praised his progress, and the fact that he had such great control over his Unbreakable form already. He even said that Izuku had to concentrate very hard to keep Kirishima from breaking out of Black Whip, because that could easily spell disaster for Izuku if he weren't fully aware.

While the three chatted amicably, Bakugo stalked a couple of yards behind them. He was scowling, his teeth grit, but also with a slight smirk. He had something that could bring that Deku tumbling down from the pedestal he somehow found his way up. And it wouldn't take much effort from Bakugo at all.

The group arrived back at the Observation Lounge to congratulations from most of the class. Nakagami quickly walked up to Kirishima, embracing him while also speaking reassurances. It was brief, but impactful to the red head as they joined the rest of the class, most of who were speaking excitedly until Aizawa stepped forward. The class all turned their attention to their homeroom teacher.

"Before All Might and I explain our critique of the first Battle, would anyone like to give their own insights on what occurred? How things could have played differently? How the Defenders could have achieved victory?" There was a momentary silence before Momo raised her hand. Aizawa nodded for her to speak.

"I will say that the biggest reason the Rescuers won was planning and teamwork," she began. "They knew Bakugo would come for them, so they utilized that knowledge, as a good Hero should, to properly come up with a strategy. Any information you have available regarding your opponents, whether it be their Quirk or their behavioral patterns, you should factor in. However, you should also consider whether the information you have is up to date or not." She paused.

"We could not hear their comms," she continued, "but I believe that's why they thought it best for Satoshi to stall Bakugo, while Izu- excuse me- Midoriya went to find Kirishima and the Hostage. It's true they could have taken Bakugo on together, and did the same with Kirishima, but, as their information was incomplete, they didn't know if that would have taken away the time they had."

"On the other hand, the Defenders had no plan other than Bakugo going after the Rescuers, leaving Kirishima to plan how to defend alone. He was clearly outclassed in combat...no offense Kirishima..." At this Kirishima shrugged, but smiled, as he knew Momo was just analyzing, much like Izuku does and would. "The only option he could have had I'm not sure if the parameters of the exercise would allow..." She looked to Aizawa with that question.

"And what do you think that would be?" Aizawa said, in an amused tone. He was also impressed, though gave no outward signs as such. And, if their written exams for entrance were any indication, he knew she and Izuku were highly intelligent, and great with analysis. He had considered hiding their results from Nezu, but the Rat had gotten to them before he could implement anything and, well...he was pretty sure the Principal would have two personal students soon. He refocused as Momo answered him.

"He could have moved the dummy out of the building and to another location," she said. A few students looked incredulous at the thought, but Izuku was smiling widely, beaming at his girlfriend for her thought process. It was something he would have done had he been the Defender.

"The parameters weren't entirely clear," Aizawa responded, also slightly smiling, though managing to hide it behind his scarf. "And that would have been an excellent strategy. However, now that it has been mentioned, the other Defender groups will be required to keep the dummy their protecting in the one building." He paused to let the information sink in.