substitute prof

What made her become a professor?

Tough question, really. Risa was asked to substitute for an economics class because their supposed professor (and the dean of their faculty) was in a meeting. Being the warm and friendly woman that she is, the students didn't take long to ask her personal questions. One minute they were talking about inflation and the next they were already asking what inspired her to pursue literature.

Risa tried to be something else at first. Halos lahat naman siguro went through that phase. She considered singing and acting, after all, she had received countless compliments about her voice. A doctor. A forensic scientist would be interesting, too. When she was about to enter college she had thought of every possibility out there, except for a criminal and sugar baby, of course.

"Kayo talaga, hindi na tuloy ako nakapagturo. But honestly, I can't tell you what made me work as a professor. It's too cheesy." Risa says, placing her laptop back to her tote bag. "Mga freshmen pa lang kayo pero ang chismoso niyo na, ha."

"Curious lang po."

"More kwento pa, ma'am!"

"Maam, I hope we won't sound disrespectful pero single raw po ba kayo?"

Risa was taken aback, "Who asked?"

"Siya po," one student pointed at her seatmate.

"Huh, ikaw 'yun!"

"Okay, kids, no need to fight," she chuckled. "Hindi ako single."

Silence.

"Hala, parang hindi kayo masaya?"

"Who's the lucky guy, ma'am?"

"Secret, baka abangan niyo sa gate."

Laughter filled the air as some students jokingly agreed with her statement. She longed for classes like this. Handling mostly juniors and seniors may have made her miss fun and interactive classes. Not that she acts all serious during her actual classes, but it is different when you're with a bunch of freshmen who are loud and carefree.  

"Prof! We have this written output po na ang deadline ay ngayon. Akala po kasi namin si Prof. Gerona ang aattend today so we didn't bother messaging her last night. We have a few questions po sana," their block representative asked.

Risa slightly panicked, "Oo nga pala! Professor Gerona attended a meeting and I was asked to substitute. Nakalimutan kong sabihin, biglang upo na lang ako rito."

"Etong si Prof, napaghahalataang forgetful," another student said.

The entire class laughed again. Despite being freshmen, the exhaustion was also evident in their faces. She noticed that when she first entered the room. The atmosphere was all gloomy like they were under the impression that their economics professor was somewhat close to what students call, a terror.

Still, Risa was grateful she was able to make them laugh. Kahit kalahati ata ng pangyayari sa buhay niya, naikwento na niya.

Risa started answering their econ-related questions. She answered all of them, thank heavens. Risa lets them think of more questions, five minutes more and she's leaving the room.

"How is she able to answer our questions eh ang layo ng lit sa econ?" She hears a student whisper, then followed by more.

"She's definitely not forgetful."

"Mali kayo ng hinala."

"Luh, nakiki-asar ka rin kanina, hoy."

"May class ka po after namin, prof?"

Risa shakes her head," Wala, nak. I'll stop by Prof. Gerona's office, though."

"Bakit po?"

Ring

"Sorry, that's my alarm. You can go to your next class na."

Before leaving, the students asked her if she could bring their written works, to which she gladly said yes. Doon din naman ang punta niya.

"Alright, everyone, it was nice meeting you. Thank you for having me!" she bids them goodbye.

"Thank you po, Prof. Honti!"

"Balik kayo!"

"May utang pa kayong kuwento, ma'am!"

She reached the dean's office. She was about to knock when she felt her stomach growling. The class conversation earlier was nice, but she forgot she ditched lunch, and funny enough, also forgot that she left her lunch in her office.

She finally knocks.

Risa was greeted with a smiling face, a privilege she enjoys.

"Good afternoon! Ang fun din pala sa class mo. Siguro 'yung mismong prof lang nila ang masungit," Risa said, trying her best to sound professional. Hindi naman sila friends.

The other professor looks at her, frowning. Both hands were inside her pockets as she leans against her desk.

Risa tried her best to ignore the chilling stare. "By the way, I was asked to hand these to you, Prof. Gerona."

She was scary, so technically the econ prof (kind of) deserved that terror title. Risa begs to differ, although that was before Professor Gerona flashed her a stare firsthand.

"Complete na po 'yan," she added, placing the papers on her desk. Risa felt a hand grip her left wrist.

"Bakit ba ang formal mo, Risa? Asawa kita, remember?"

She bursts into laughter. "Joke! Na prank kita."

Right, how could she forget. Standing next to her is the reason why she pursued literature. The reason why she would drop lunch for a class she doesn't even know. The reason why she stopped at her office in hopes of eating lunch together.

"How are my students?" Leni asked, moving another chair for Risa to sit on.

"Matanong," she replies.

"Nasagot mo naman ba?"

Risa frowned, "s'yempre. Ikaw ba naman makinig sa sandamakmak na econ lessons bago matulog."

"Maingay ba 'ko?" Leni managed a smile. "Hayaan mo, ikaw naman mag-iingay mamayang gabi."

"...and it's not because of my econ lessons."

pag-uwi talaga nila walang nangyari kasi natulog agad si inel.

i can't take off that crush ng klase tweet i saw before sa utak ko. 'yun talaga context nito pero si asir naman for a change heh happy cinco!