bukod-tangi 2

Weddings. Weddings can really make you feel a whole whirlwind of emotions all at once.

Honestly, Leonor was always fond of weddings and dreamed of getting married to someone she loves dearly. She never really thought this day would come, seeing the person she held close to her heart this happy dahil sa kasal niya.

She was surprised to receive an invitation, especially when they have not seen each other since high school. Buti nga't naka abot pa sila sa reception dahil nagkaroon ng delay ang flight nila mula sa probinsya.

Through the window panes on the balcony door, Leon had a good view of the ballroom. Through gaps of other party-goers, now paired-up and dancing as well, she caught bits of Kiko and Therese wrapped in each other's arms. Kasal nga naman niya ngayong araw, dapat maisayaw ang lahat ng bisita.

The two got incredibly close during their college years mula sa mga nakukwento ni Kiko sakaniya sa telepono. If Leon hadn't left Manila for college, siguro close na rin sila ni Therese ngayon.

"Upo ka muna there kay Tito Kit mo, ha," Leon whispered to the teen clinging on her arm. She finally stepped in the ballroom, unsure of who to approach first. May nakabimbin ding pangamba na baka hindi na siya nakikilala ng mga kaklase niya noon.

This time, she had a clear view of the woman she once admired during high school. Therese was wearing a black silk dress, one that hugged her perfect curves and emphasized the unexplainable glow on her face.

Still extraordinary.

Surprisingly, Leonor was approached by Therese. The younger offered her hand and as if in cue, the slow music started playing.

"May I have this dance, Leon?"

"Of course," as the older faced and sheepishly smiled at her. Tagal na rin nilang hindi nagkita, how come she was so casual about this? She really is something.

They swayed to the music and danced slowly to the song that is being sung by the live band.

"Mas lalo kang gumanda," Leon pointed out respectfully.

Theresia lets out a laugh, "Ay, wow, sa wakas nasabi na rin."

She looks at her confused, "And how did you know I've been meaning to say that to you?"

"Ewan. Might be your eyes always telling me I'm beautiful in 5 different words." Therese joked. If she only knew a part of that was true.

"Do you remember what else you told me years ago?" The younger asked.

"Parehas ba tayo ng iniisip?" Leon looked at her with a half-hearted smile and began to listen.

"You will wait for me until I heal," Therese says.

"Jesus, it sounds so funny when I say it, but during that time I was doubting myself so much. Parang doon pa lang nag sink-in sa 'kin na we're entering college, and I thought eventually maiisip mo na high school crush lang pala ako. Tapos you'll leave me for a loud and free college life you won't even experience once you pursue me. I was hating myself, and I didn't want to pass that to you," she continues, tone sounding as if she could not believe she went through that phase herself.

Leon nodded in acknowledgement. It was a relief to know that Therese was still comfortable being vulnerable around her despite not seeing each other for years. The feeling was as if they were 16 and stargazing.

"I'm sorry, hindi mo deserve na ma experience 'yun. But if you told me your problems I would've helped you, or if you think I wouldn't be much of a help at least I would have listened. No matter how long it will take you, just let it all out, everything, and I will hear you until you run out of excuses to hate yourself."

Leon smiled bitterly this time around, "...and I don't need that loud and free college life you said. If given the chance mas pipiliin ko kung saan tahimik. Kung saan kasama kita."

Therese looks at her, mouthing a thank you before hugging her tight for the first time.

"I suppose cat moms na kayo ng misis mo?" Leon abruptly changed the subject.

"Oh, no! Wala pa akong asawa. Ayan nga at nauna pa ang kasal slash renewal of vows ni Kiko kaysa ikasal ako," biro ni Therese. "How about you, ilang taon na 'yung anak mo?"

"She just turned sixteen," she answered.

"Hawig na hawig mo siya," Therese remarked. It was like looking at a younger version of Leon, the version whose little efforts actually helped her survive the challenges she was facing before. Leon might not be aware of it but she had saved her from her own demise.

Therese stared at Leon's beautiful offspring, then drifting back to her. A lingering thought provokes her. I am happy for you but you said you will wait for me.

But for Therese, she always knew that Leon would eventually find her own solace. She knew that she was a placeholder of what was to come in Leon's life. She continued admiring her knowing they were put into each other's life with a purpose but not for the long run.

And that's okay.

"Time for a toast!" Sigaw ng host.

"What if si Therese ang mag toast?" Kiko suggested.

Therese couldn't say no. Not when it is the perfect moment to express her utmost gratitude.

"I have learned that while I indulged myself in long years of self-pity and fear, everything else continues. The rain will keep falling, the leaves will still grow, and the sun will always shine. Love is constant and it'll always be there through it all, sometimes in different people." She turns her head to smile at Leon. "And I sincerely hope we find our someone that stays one day."

Only to find she was not looking at her.