project ex: who initiated the first

Backpack slung over her shoulder, Risa trudged down the narrow stairwell. She had productively spent the entire day inside the lab, finishing her remaining individual tasks. Finishing the requirements for her last year of high school was hard, per se, but she swore walking down the stairs was harder. Sa dinami-dami ba naman kasi ng araw, bakit ngayon pa masisira ang elevator nila.

Good thing the apartment she shared with her friend was a few blocks away from their school. She didn't have to use the stairs either, as their room was located on the ground floor. Wrenching open the building's glass door, she shuffled inside, her steps lagging and the soles of her shoes nearly catching on the rough floor. Risa marched down the hall, trailing a supportive hand against the wall, imagining the feeling of her pink pillow beneath her head, fluffy and cold. Kaunti na lang, then she held the doorknob, about to twist it open.

When the realization inevitably struck, she jerked her hand back, as if the knob had burned her.

Then she remembered.

Her friend Anton's girlfriend was visiting for the weekend. Since she'd stayed late at the lab, they must have assumed she wasn't coming back that evening. Well, technically, she never had to tell Anton she was doing an all-nighter. He had always assumed she was a hardworking student, a competitive one who never sleeps without studying. Nevertheless, she can't go in there now. The last previous accident of opening that door was pretty much living in her head, 'wag nang dagdagan.

Risa ends up back in the lobby. At this moment she's just walking around in quick circles. The living area was sparse. The table and wooden chairs that occupied it would provide for rough sleeping conditions. Fatigue is not helping at all, she needed a place to relax.

Digging her phone from her backpack, she lifted it in the air. "Oof, five percent," she winced.

Emergency contacts. Call.

"Can we argue about our math assignment at six?"

Leaning her shoulder against the wall, she cradled the phone against her ear. "Huh? Why do you always assume I want to engage in a fight?"

"You're calling me at..," she paused, "one thirty-seven in the morning."

Risa sighed. "Awe, can't I call my girlfriend?"

She heard a rustle, "Right, I forgot."

"Anong nakalimutan? Kasasabi ko lang na gusto rin kita, one week ago. One week! What the fu–"

"Seryoso na, my love. May kailangan ka ba?" Leni says, tone serious and awake this time.

"Malaki naman apartment mo, 'di ba? You think it can fit another person? Just for the night?"

"...p'wede naman..." Her answer was hesitant as if she knew there was something going on. "Tulog na ba si Anton?"

"Anton's girlfriend is sleeping over," she explains. "If I'm sleeping over, you wouldn't want him third-wheeling, ano?"

"Of course not," Leni nervously chuckled. "Dito ka matutulog?"

"Kung okay lang sa 'yo," she says. "Babagsak na ata katawan ko."

"Nasaan ka? Let me fetch you."

"No need, akyat na lang ako riyan sa 'yo. See you!" Risa rushed before hanging up.

Fruit bars for breakfast, lunch, and dinner really weren't doing it for her. Huffing, she collapsed against Leni's door. When it swung in, she squeaked and promptly dropped into the room.

A face leaned over her. She was met with Leni's blank stare.

"Tsk. Hindi mo na ba kayang umabot sa kama?"