favorites and i miss you (s)

Risa is not one to miss a call. Over the years of being together, she would always answer Leni's calls, regardless of what time it was. During the times she did not, Risa would send a message or call back immediately after seeing the notification. So, it was quite alarming when after five missed calls, her partner was still unresponsive. Long distance was harder than she thought.

"Busy siguro," her daughter said, noticing her worry. "O baka na-lowbatt si tita sen, try mo na lang ulit mamaya."

Maybe her daugher was right. Surely there's a reason behind the avoidance. But the thing is, she hasn't heard her voice since she left for her job at Harvard. She hasn't heard her voice for almost a week now; pretty acceptable to say that Leni just wanted to spend some time with her before she fully indulge herself with work.

Time was an unfortunate factor, too. Nights in Boston are mornings in Manila and vice versa. It was quite hard to even have a continuous with Risa.

Body resting on her bed, Leni opened her phone and browsed through her messages. Slight disappointment engulfs her as she looks at the delivered sign on the bottom of her last text. The time was eleven in the evening. Risa might be a night person but she wakes up early for work, how come she couldn't respond?

At this point, Leni was purely concerned, not just because she wanted to talk to her, but because she have been unresponsive for the last 18 hours.

She pressed the call button once more.

"Hello?"

Finally.

"Hi, Leni, sorry I was on silent."

"For 18 hours?" Leni couldn't help but ask.

"I know, I'm sorry. I was busy, in case you care," comes the voice on the other end. The sound of her voice makes Leni sink in her spot, her shoulders feeling heavy. Her heart hurts thinking that Risa believes she wouldn't care. She cares a lot.

"I didn't mean to sound rude," she says softly, "s'yempre may pakialam ako, kaya nga may 53 missed calls na nag-aantay sa 'yo."

"Pansin ko nga," Risa huffs, "how's Boston treating you?"

"Ayos lang, malamig." Leni says onto the phone. She shifts her body comfortably on the other side, one hand holding the phone to her ear. She sighs, tapping the soft pillows, listening to the other woman breathe, before she says, "Marami bang work?"

There was a short pause. "Alam mo naman sagot ko riyan, Leni."

"I know...I know," she says in almost a whisper. "Na miss lang kita."

"Ako rin. Kaya umuwi ka na sa 'kin," Risa demands. Frankly, if it wasn't for this huge opportunity Leni would have packed her bags, kiss her daughter good luck, and go back.

"Seryoso ako, Ris. Kung napapagod ka tawagan mo lang ako, papakinggan ko kahit hilik mo. Ayokong dumidistansiya ka ng gano'n katagal. Malayo ako sa 'yo, hindi ko alam kung ayos ka pa ba o ano."

"Copy that," Risa assures her, "Kumusta mo na lang ako kay Patty."

"Aalis ka na?" Leni asked, not wanting to hang up just yet.

"Mukhang ayaw mo 'ko i-kumusta kay Patty, edi aalis na lang ako." Risa says, voice teasing a little.

"Wait," Leni exclaims, her whole demeanor changing, "K-kumusta naman kita, pero akala ko ba si Aiks ang paborito mo?"

"I don't have favorites!" Risa whines, atmosphere's lighter this time.

"Weh?"

"I consider all your kids as my own. Favorite ko silang lahat, okay?" Risa hums from the other side, her voice tickling her ear.

Leni nods, smiling. "Pero 'yung mama nila pinaka favorite mo, right?"

Risa was silent.

"Right, Risa?"

super short update, mas maikli pa sa campaign interactions nila haha eme. might go ia after this, lipad na 'ko amerika