Changing Skys

He thought he had been sneaky about it, not letting anyone know he was checking in on her when she was sleeping. Even if he didn't make it into the room. Or wasn't even able to touch the door in fear of waking her and having her angry at him. Sam knew. What if she did too?

Sam smirks at him and doesn't say anything else. Just looks out the patio door to the girl, curled up on a chair enjoying the sounds of life going on around her. Steve suggest taking a blanket out, and states that's it's probably starting to cool of outside. It's cold at night now, days getting short, but midday is warm. Rain and clouds stick closer to the ground more and more often.

"Buck just take her another drink, and maybe a blanket and then come back in. Don't over think it." Steve doesn't even look his way when he speaks, instead sharing a smile with Sam who smirks in response.

Buchanan slowly moves to the kitchen, pouring a mug of milk and adding a teaspoon of vanilla, drizzle of honey, and after microwaving it sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon. Blanket under arm he steps outside. Neither of the two outdoors acknowledge each other.

As (Y/N) takes the last sip of her mug Buchanan hands her the one he brought out wordlessly, then covers her legs with the heavy blanket. She smiles and glances at the seat beside her. Silent request to simply stay. He sits, stares out to the trees in the back. As minuets pass foggy memories surface.
"I ran this way because of those trees. After Steve was safe, I ran for cover. I didn't know what type of cover I would find but I knew the trees would be good to stay in after I dragged him out."
"That makes sense. I mean, the foliage would cover you well, I would have done a similar thing."
Slowly she shifts, from being nestled into the corner of the cushions to leaning on him. A warm arm around her, a gentle breath on her shoulder, a mug in her hands. Peaceful.

Steve and Sam pay enough attention to notice the two sitting that close, seeming to be lost in their own thoughts and not paying attention to the cloud of bugs above them.

An alarm on the stove goes off, and the girl who was at peace jerks at the sound of it. Just loud enough to make it through the glass door, and through the city life to her ears. "I need to go check the chickens. You should probably learn how to do this."
"You stay out here. You look happy. I'll check them." With that he lets her shift away, frustrated at the cold that she now has seeping back into her bones. Before heading back in he doesn't think as he acts, kissing her hairline. He doesn't wait to see her reaction, he doesn't even know what his reaction other than a panicked look and a racing heart was. It only dawns on him once he's inside and starting that he has no idea how to tell if the birds are done or not.

"Sam?"
"Yeah?"
"Are these done?"

Sam walks over muttering about how dumb a person has to be to say they don't need help when they really do. After poking at the fowl Sam goes and sits back down. "Tell her a half hour."

The blanket is flipped up at the sound of the door opening,  "they should take about a half hour."
"Then come sit with me?"

Buchanan eases himself back down into the chair, and arm behind her head and she leans into him. Soaking up the heat he gives up it soothes the aches her bones never truly get rid of.

Minutes pass slowly, silently and comfortably. There was no questions, no talking. Just listening to the bloodsuckers buzzing around them.

"I miss the stars. There's to much smog and light pollution to see them from here."
"Wakanda had really nice views didn't it?"

She thinks for a few moments, recounting the window sill she sat on as he slept soundly meters from her. The stars in the sky that seemed to last forever. There was now way to know back then what the future held. "Yes. The stars were beautiful. And the window wasn't actually all the comfortable to sit in."
"Why didn't you stay in the bed?"
"Buchanan you were in my bed, I didn't want to disturb you. You looked peaceful."