You Needed them Too

Sam's P.O.V.

Thought that would have went a lot better. Over the phone Marci said that she would love to see (Y/N) again. Say she was sorry for the way she acted and that she never made contact after the explosion.

Lying conniving bitch.

Chris literally dragged her away and the others surrounded shoulder to shoulder so she couldn't get back through. (Y/N) disappeared at one point to the truck and Chris went to talk to her before the whole drag-the-lunatic-away thing.

They only re-appeared when the cops came rolling up. (Y/N) talked to them, and the lunatic got dragged away.

She started talking to some of her old buddies, or at least people from the same platoon I figured the meet up was getting far better.

She had received a formal invitation to the remembrance ceremony tomorrow, and unfortunately we had to leave. Natasha was ready to track down Marci and fillet her like a fish.

(Y/N) was basically silent on the way home, other than a few hiccups and sniffles.

Of course as soon as we got back to the house she disappeared into her bathroom and wouldn't come back out for an hour. To pass this time I finished polishing her boots with the help of Rhodes and we stayed silent while doing our task.

When she did come out her eyes were slightly red and she looked completely drained of energy and any give she had left in her. Rhodes stood with some minor difficulties, "ditch the shoes and lay down. Someone will bring you something to eat." He leaves and I follow, stopping in the door to watch what she does.

Without saying anything and after flopping down on top of the covers of the bed, she kicked off her shoes. Her eyes shut slowly.

Rhodes moves to the cupboards and pulls a plate from a shelf, and Natasha pulls left overs from the fridge.

With a plate piled with food in one hand and a glass of water plus cutlery in the other I go back to her. She looks so broken laying how she is.

Knees close to her chest, one arm pulled close, the other sprawled out in front of her, hair everywhere. In her hand that's close to her chest and heart there is a picture of Jack and her, judging by the frame laying on the floor now empty it the one of them in their uniforms, holding a little boy on their shoulders. It was the last picture taken of them. The kid is from a town over from where Winsome passed away. (Y/N) saved him from being killed when he tried running to his mother. His dead mother.

Giving her a small shake, I receive a fist in the side of my head. Thankfully it was a weak swing and the food I brought her didn't fall off of the plate. The water in the glass splashed out slightly but landed on her.

She sitting up now, wide eyed and looking like someone hit her, instead of her just hitting someone else.

"(Y/N), get up."
"It can't be morning already."
"No, it's not by-" before I can finish she slumps back down,
"Then go away."

With a sigh I sit down next to her "no, not until I've seen you eat."
"I'm not hungry."
"No, of course you're not. You never are anymore. You used to be able to consume food now you barely even nibble."
With a sigh she grabs a piece of food, "I don't need a lecture. And besides," she takes a small bite, swallowing after a few seconds "I'm not in any classes or whatever because you left."
"Don't pin this on me."
"Sorry, I'll rephrase." Bite two in and down.  "I stopped going to the classes because none of the other people giving the lectures had nearly as much care and need to be there as you do."
"I never had a need to be there." Stop lying Sam.