Speeches

(Does no one have a question about last chapter? I was expecting something.)

The car ride was hell. Tense, silent and hot. Half way through I hit the AC button because I couldn't stand it anymore. "Sorry but I have too. It's way to hot in here." This was the first thing anyone said the entire twenty minutes we were in the vehicle.

Tanner stopped outside the gates, in a reserved parking space. Chris is standing with a few others on the wall of the grave yard.

The grass under their feet is slightly trampled, a small scuff an a boot, pant creases perfect, hands clasped in front of their pelvises. "Marci has been waiting for you to show up."
"Chris it's not even half past seven. How long has she been here?"
"Five minutes. I gave her a ride."
"She's at the graves?"
"Yah. She wants to talk to you alone."
Great. Wonder what she wants. To yell at me some more?
"Why?"

With a shake of his head he steps away from the gate, giving me an easy pass to  the walkway.

Okay. Time to do this.

The walkway isn't even, and with shaking knees practically unable to be walked on.

Tanner appears beside me, offering me an arm. "I know I'm not that sociable and that she wants to talk alone but may as well make sure you get there."

Looping my arm into his I smile halfheartedly. "Thanks, and I know that I'm not really easy to approach. Sorry for that."
"You've just been, well. Through a lot and seem like you don't want to talk."

Glancing at him, I can see he's watching me from the corner of his eye, "I like to talk, I just don't want to worry others and scare them."
"Well, you don't have any fears as far as anyone is aware."
"I do, have one. And I'll let you in on one," pausing to look at my feet moving I take a deep breath. "My biggest fear is seeing these graves. But I am here."

His pace slows, I slow with him. "Why did you come then?"
"Why wouldn't I be? I was invited, first invitation I've had to one of these. Don't want stand anyone up."
"You didn't have too."
"Well, I am now. No turning back. How's your family?"
"Uh," I caught him off guard with my question. "Good. My little brother wants to join the army, be like me."
"And what do you think?"
"I will tear up his forms myself."
"Bring him to see me one day if you think it'll help get his decision away from the army."
"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"No. But it can help steer him away from the army. Save the people you love right?"
He nods slightly.

Shaking my head at my self we walk in silence until going over a small rise, leaving the walk and end up seeing Marci kneeling at a grave. "I'm okay now Christopher. Thank you."
"Thank you."

He releases my arm and let's me take a few steps away before going back the way we came.

I stand beside her kneeling form staring off into the distance at the rows upon rows of stones for a few seconds before talking.
"Marci, I hear you wanted to speak with me?"
She stands, but does not face me, still admiring the stone I refuse to look at. "He didn't deserve to die you know."
"No one does."
"But he had a future. He was going to do something great in this life."

Now I turn and see the name. Ethan

No idea what I was expecting, probably Jack or Tim even. But Ethan, not so much. "I thought you hated him."

Her eyes darken "No, I loved him. I was always trying to make him Jealous with Jack."

Well. Curve ball.