29

It was hell... and it took a lot out of them... but they finally got Neil to the Public Pool and into the sauna room. They were panting outside of the door from their exhaustion. It didn't go quite as plan. They had to use El's powers to knock him out then dragged him to the pool then rolled him into the sauna... but they got him in there. They had locked the door up with a lead pipe and some chains while they turned the level up as high as they could. They proceeded to wait and see if he was indeed controlled by the Mind Flayer. 

"What if we burn him in there? I mean we knocked him out cold." Max asked, while she paced around the room. 

"If he doesn't wake up soon, we will try to throw cold water in there or something, but we can't take any risk." Mike pointed out. 

"So killing him is your answer? That's how you want to solve this whole problem?" Max asked, her tone rising. 

"We don't want to kill him, Max. We're just thinking of what's best for all of--" Mike started when their attention was drifted to the sound of banging against the door. They turned to find Neil had woken up and now was leaning against the door. He looked through the small window and towards them all. 

"Max..." He whispered, "What's going on? What is this? Max! Let me out of here! Let me out!" 

Neil attempted to pull the door open, huffing and puffing while sweat began dripping down his skin. 

"You kids..." Neil panted, "You think this is funny? You kids think this is some kind of sick prank, huh? You little shits think this is funny? What is this? Did Billy put you up to this, Max? Huh? Did he? Answer me! Did Billy put you kids up to this? Open the door. Open the door! Open the door! Open the goddamn door!" 

Neil gasped as he suddenly dropped to the ground. Suddenly the air was filled with sobs. 

"It's not my fault. It's not my fault. It's not my fault, Max. I promise you, it's not my fault." Neil whimpered. Max walked up to the door, peering in. Neil was curled up in a ball, sobbing like a toddler who was caught in trouble. 

"What's not your fault?" she asked him. 

"I've done things, Max. Really... bad things. I didn't mean to. He made me do it." Neil cried out. 

"Who made you do it?" she asked him. 

"I don't know. It's like a shadow. Like a giant shadow. Please, Max." 

"What did he make you do?" 

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT, OKAY? MAX, PLEASE! PLEASE, BELIEVE ME, MAX, IT'S NOT MY FAULT!" Neil sobbed as he leaned against the bench in the sauna, "I tried to stop him, okay? I did. Please believe me, Max. Please believe me." 

"Neil, it's gonna be okay." Max said, "It's gonna be okay. We want to help you. You just have to talk to us, okay? You have to talk to us. I believe you, Neil..."

"GET AWAY FROM THE DOOR!" Will shouted at the top of his lung. Max turned around to ask what was going on when suddenly glass flew past her head, a scream billowing from her throat, while she rushed to the side. Neil's head stuck outside the window, his arm swinging around with a shard made from the tile floor. 

"Let me out, you bitch! Let me out!" Neil screamed, "I'll fucking gut you!" 

He reached down, pulling the pipe from the knob then tossed it to the side, then proceeded to try and rip the chains off the door. Lucas raised his sling-shot, slipped a rock into the sling before pulling it back, then took aim. It Neil directly in his forehead, sending him down. 

"Max, come on!" Lucas called her. Max rushed over to the group, the lights began flickering as they listened to Neil grunting and gasping. Through the window, they saw Neil standing in the midst of the sauna, shrieking and crying as black veins began forming on his skin. He began slamming himself against the door, roaring like a beast, over and over again. 

"He can't get out, can he?" Max asked. 

"No way," Lucas said, doubtfully, "No way." 

Suddenly, the door shot out, as Neil ran fully at them. Everyone took a few steps away from Neil except El, who stood in front of him, glaring deep in his eyes. El raised her hand, lifting up one of the weights from the weight bench before flinging her arm to the side. The weight shot over, slamming Neil against the wall. El held bot of her arms out in front of her as she tried holding him against the wall. 

However, Neil surprised her by pushing back, flinging the weight at her. El dropped to the floor then attempted to crawl away, but Neil grabbed hold of her hair and pulled her back. Neil's hand wrapped around her throat as he lifted her up and began to choke her. Mike stared in horror till he rushed over and grabbed the pipe they used to bar the door and slammed it against Neil's head, making him go down in one blow. 

"Go to hell, you piece of shit!" Mike shouted as he went to hit Neil again. Only Neil turned around fast and grabbed the pipe with his own hands. Neil stood up, tearing the pipe from Mike's hand before flinging it to the side. Neil walked over towards Mike ready to smash his head in against the wall when his feet were engulfed by the floor he stood on. Everyone stared in shock as they watched him struggling to get his feet unearthed. 

"What the hell are you guys doing standing there? Get over here!" They turned to find Billy and Lizzy standing behind them. Lizzy held out on of her arms as Billy was motioning for them to follow him towards outside. Everyone proceeded to run over and stood behind Billy, who quickly grabbed hold of one of the dumbbells. Lizzy raised her other hand as she caused the brick wall to slowly grow into a hand. Lizzy screamed as she made the hand grab hold of Neil's head before pulling him towards the wall, slamming him over and over again till the final blow made him go through the wall. 

Lizzy panted, blood dripping down her nose, before she tumbled down onto the flood. She could hear Billy calling her name as he rushed to her side, pulling her into his as he was hushing her and brushing her hair; gently kissing her temples a couple of times. Lizzy soon found the strength to pull her up to her feet and limped over to the hole in the wall. The group watched as Neil ran away across the yard and down the road, to where, they didn't know. 

"The girl, was it her?" Heather asked while she was cleaning Neil's wounds. 

"Yeah. It was her. She knows now. She knows about me." Neil growled, grabbing Heather's wrist, "She could've killed me... But it was not just her. There's another one just like her. She's just as powerful as her too." 

"Yes." Heather said calmly, "But not us. Not us." 

They slowly turned to look at the numerous people that stood waiting for the moment when they were ready for their attack just as the Mind Flayer rose and roared out to the heavens above them.