27. "Another coincidence."

Chapter Twenty Seven

Elena's POV

"Here's your cafe latte," Jade put the cup on the coffee table. 

"Thanks, Jade," I smiled at her.

Jade Collins, my nerdy good friend, who wore dark rimmed glasses and old fashioned clothes.  She worked as a cashier/waitress/barista in this coffee shop owned by Mrs. Chang. I used to work here before as a dishwater on weekends.

"You're welcome," she smiled back, and watched me take a sip of the hot foamy liquid, "how is it?"

"Hmm... very delicious. You always make the perfect latte."

"Thanks. Glad you like it. If you need anything, just call me," she said and left  to get the order of a customer who just entered the coffee shop.

I was alone at the table, sipping my coffee, when suddenly, a man sat down across from me. I looked at him, observing his appearance. He was wearing a dark blue sweater, gray pants, a black cap and dark shades - obviously to cover his identity. 

"Are you stalking me?" he asked me in an accusing voice.

I twisted my lips, preventing myself from rolling my eyes. 

"Excuse me, Mr. Firth. I don't have a habit of stalking anyone. Besides, I almost didn't recognize you with your cover up."

"I was only teasing you," he chuckled, "call me Christian. We're exes right?"

"HA!" I laughed, "that reminds me. Can I ask you a favor? Can you correct the rumor that we're exes?"

"I won't have a career by this time tomorrow, if I do that. Your grandpa will surely ruin my career," he removed his shades and cap, then combed his hair with his fingers.

"I hate that old cow for ruining my reputation. He keeps on telling everyone that I wasted his money shopping."

"He's crazy. But I can't hate him," he replied.

"By the way, how did he save your life?" I asked him, still curious to know about what he said at the party.

"He joined my family on a Safari Adventure in South Africa. I was six years old at that time. I could not behave seated for a long time inside the open-sided vehicle. I jumped out and ran into the field. A hungry looking lion saw me and was ready to attack, when your Grandpa was very quick to rescue me. He was bitten on his shoulder, and could have been dead. Good thing, the tourist guide was able to tame the animal."

"So that's why you owe him your life."

"Yeah. That's why it's so hard to say no to him," he said, giving me a disappointed look.

For about fifteen minutes, we talked about grandpa, our careers, and other things. He was actually nice to talk with and I enjoyed our chat.

"Just tell me if you need my services in your clothing line. I can model for free."

"Are you serious? For free?"

"Sure. It's the best that I can do. Since, I can't retract my statement about us as exes."

"Okay, I'll remember that," I answered and we laughed together.

Christian seemed like a nice guy. It just sucks that we were in a bad situation that Grandpa created. I wished I could tell him the truth about Christian Firth and everything. But I could never do that. Grandpa would ruin me, not just my reputation but my whole being. He would also cancel Mom's treatment and the care of the world's finest specialists who handled her.

--

I went back to my office and opened my laptop to check my emails. There were a bunch of them. For the next hour, I just answered them.

The door suddenly opened, and I was so surprised when Adonis stormed inside my office, looking so furious. My secretary Macy was behind him, looking very apologetic.

"I'm sorry, Elena..." Macy said, but I stopped her from talking more.

"Please leave us alone, Macy, and close the door.

The moment the door snapped shut, Adonis snarled at me.

"What the fuck did you do dating your ex!" He slammed his hand on my table, making me jerk up. His face became so red with anger.

My temper rose immediately. I stood up and faced him squarely. Standing before him.

"You don't scare me, so don't you ever, EVER, slam your hand on my table again! How dare you come here, and get violent," I clenched my fist, preventing myself from throwing a book at him.

"Ah, I know that trick, getting mad at me so you'll evade the issue," he snorted, "I told you to stay away from Firth, and yet, you were dating him at the coffee shop."

I heaved a long sigh, trying to calm myself, "It was not a date. I just met him there."

"Another coincidence, huh? Don't fool me, Elena, I'm not stupid!"

"Believe me, at this point, you are!" I put my hand against his chest, pushing him as he kept on advancing towards me, crowding my space, "and that security team you hired are equally stupid! I pity you, paying a whole lot of money for these guards who could not give you accurate information."

"Stop changing the topic. I warned you not to taint the Stavrakos name. And now, you're seeing your ex!" His face turned red, with intense rage, "how could you do this to me, you little..." his lips pressed together.

"Little what? Go on, tell me Adonis. What do you want to say? Bitch, cheater.." I dared him, my eyes equaled the hostility in his eyes, "I did not cheat on you. I was there to get coffee because I was so tired of working my ass here in the office. I did not know Christian was there-"

"Don't you dare utter his name," he warned me, "ever!"

"What the hell's wrong with you? You're acting crazy, being so jealous."

"I'm NOT the jealous type," he hissed.

"You are! You're acting so possessive, and it's getting into my nerves. I don't like this version of you, it's so annoying."

Finally he calmed down. All the anger on his face suddenly gone and replaced with a gentle charming boyish face again.

"I'm sorry," he back hug me, his face buried on my neck, "I don't know what got into me. You're probably right, I was jealous."

"You were!"

"Okay, fine. I admit," he gathered me into his arms, then captured my mouth with his.