The Price You Pay: Chapter 03

Hello everybody. Welcome to the slowest burn ever written in fanfic history ;)

●●●●●

An hour later, we're all in the living room. Although I am nervous to be in a room with so many others, I don't dare to excuse myself and retreat to the room I've been given. Although I have not been asked directly, they have made known that they want me in here, and I think it is best to do everything they say. I don't want to mess up again.

The TV is on, some show about funny home videos. I'm sitting in the only chair. Kabir and Ishani are lounging in one corner of the large, U-formed couch, Vedant and Maya occupy the other corner. Angre and Sara are sitting up in another seat.

If there is a God, he has a wicked sense of humour.

The Malhotras are talking off and on, or laughing at what they see on the TV. A cosy fire is crackling in the hearth. It gives the room a very homey feeling, but the atmosphere stays a little tense, formal. It's because I am in the room. I know that.

On the coffee table are boxes with half eaten pizzas. Every other person in the room is still munching on them. I haven't even tried. A week from now, I am allowed to try and eat solid food again. But the smell of the pizzas makes my mouth water. For the first time in a long while, my stomach churns with hunger.

Of course Maya hears it, and she softly says my name to get my attention. "Would you like to eat something?"

Well, no, unless it's this pizza, but I'm guessing it will lose its appeal if I put it in a blender.

"You're not eating pizza?" Ishani asks. For all her observance I would have thought she'd have noticed that by now.

But, I kind of like her, so I shake my head in response.

"Why not?"

Did I say I kind of liked her? Because maybe now I kind of don't.

"I thought we agreed that we would not bother Riddhima with too many questions?" Maya asks calmly, saving me

Ishani looks at Maya, then back at me. "I know, but I'm just curious. I want to get to know you," she smiles at me.

At this, I must look a little worried. I'm not worth getting to know. Seriously, I'm not special at all. And I certainly don't feel like explaining why I can't eat solid food. Besides, a week from now I'll be good, or so I was told back in Phoenix. It'll become a bigger problem when they learn I rather not eat with others around me. It will raise questions, and I don't like the prospect of that.

I vaguely wonder how weird it must seem to her that cooking makes my life worth living, while I make such a fuss about eating.

Well, everyone should have a quirk, no?

I tear myself from my musings as I realize that Ishani is looking at me. My hands go to my neck in a gesture of insecurity almost automatically and I look back at her, not sure what to do. She looks like a thousand questions are boiling on her tongue, but she doesn't speak up. She frowns a little with the effort of containing her curiosity. How to tell her that she need not take the effort? I'm a horrible person and I know she'll not be as nice to me anymore when she knows about my past.

Ishani holds my gaze and once again I feel distinctly as though she is looking right through me. It's my turn to frown now and I look away, uncomfortable under her scrutinizing gaze.

"How about we all have ice cream for dessert?" Vedant then offers inconsequently, to lift some of the sudden tension in the room, I suppose.

Ooh, ice cream. Yes, please. Can I? I mean, should I? Or may I…