The Price You Pay: Chapter 28

As I make coffee and Vansh munches on his snack, he says something completely incoherent about 'just trying stuff', and to not think about it too much. He tells me that Vedant has given him that advice before, too, since Vansh has the tendency to over think things. Vansh tells me he thinks it could be liberating for me if I just tried stuff without being so scared.

Because, he says, there really is no need to be scared here, after all.

I get the feeling he is implying that I stay this tense and afraid of my own volition.

It irks me that it's very well possible that he is right.

After dinner, I want to lock myself into my room and listen to the CD Vansh gave me. But I am intercepted by Ishani once more when I reach the top of the stairs, and with Vansh's advice in mind, I now find myself sitting on Ishani's bed as she is trying to fix her hair for the Halloween party.

She chatters away happily, clearly excited. When Sara trails into the room, I make to leave, but one look at her face tells me she doesn't expect me to go.

I don't really like Sara, but I like one thing about her: she's exceptionally clear.

"Hey, why don't you get your stuff in here to get ready too? And can you help me with my hair?" Ishani asks her sister.

Sara nods, smiling, and disappears.

Ishani turns to me. "It's always more fun to prepare for a party together, you know," she replies. Then she bounces to her stereo to put on some music that I think should get her in the mood.

Moving to the music a little, she scurries around her room to pick up and put down various things. I have no idea what she is trying to achieve, but I am long past assuming and just sit here, as per Vansh's advice, to 'just try stuff.'

Sara comes back, her arms full with undecipherable things. She drops them on the couch unceremoniously, then checks her watch. "Might as well get dressed, too."

She extracts something white from the pile she just left on the couch and leaves the room again.

"You know you can come with us, don't you?" Ishani repeats her question from the night before.

I know, Ishani. But I really don't want to.

She walks over to her vanity and plops down in front of her mirror, fussing with her hair.

"This is impossible," she complains. Her gaze shifts to me. "If I had hair like yours, I would be able to make something fabulous of it. As is, there's little I can do, now is there? What would you do?"

She beckons me to come to the vanity and reluctantly I get up so I can look over her shoulder in the mirror, where she meets my eyes.

"What would you do with hair like this and my costume? I think a Mohawk won't work, do you think?"

I shake my head. I agree with her. Also, spikes would not really work. I do have an idea for her, but I'm pretty sure she'll find it ridiculous.

"Say it, Riddhima. I can tell you're thinking of something."

I shrug. It's not important.

"Please?"

Ishani's eyes are wide as she meets my gaze via the mirror. "I need some inspiration?"

I deliberate for a moment, then decide I have very little to lose. Now to find a way of showing her what I mean.

I bring my hands up to my own hair, but Ishani stops me with her words. "You can show it on me. I really don't mind."