The Price You Pay: Chapter 22

On Wednesday I wait once more for the family to leave the house before I make my way downstairs. I have flushed the lasagna down the toilet.

I am apprehensive, nervous. My body is stiff from being in the tub but it is nothing compared to the chaos that is in my brain.

Who left last night, and why?

I am surprised to find Maya in the kitchen, sipping coffee and reading the paper. An empty plate stands beside her on the table. I can't shake the feeling she has been waiting for me.

She looks up and smiles when I enter the room. "Good morning. Did you sleep well?"

No. I nod.

"Were you woken by us last night? Vedant was called into the hospital for an emergency," she says apologetically.

Ah, so that's what I heard. No reason to panic then, after all.

By God, I can almost laugh at this explanation when I think back to all the possible scenarios my mind has conjured last night.

"Anyway, we all wanted to pay our compliments to the chef," Maya beams. "Your lasagna was beyond excellent. We really enjoyed it."

I shift, uneasy. Frown.

"How is the burn? Does it still hurt?"

Absentmindedly I look at my hand. The skin has broken overnight, but the wound is already closing up again. I shake my head to let Maya know it doesn't bother me anymore, and suppress a shrug.

She looks at me closely, then nods in acceptance.

At her invite, I go to fill my first cup of coffee of the day. When I turn back to Maya, mug in hands, she looks at me and thinks for a moment before she speaks.

"Riddhima, I want to talk to you about what happened yesterday."

I don't.

"You were obviously not at ease." A beat. "Have you eaten your dinner?"

Her question catches me off guard and because I cannot lie to save my life, I can't nod convincingly enough.

Maya narrows her eyes as she sees through me.

I look down and exhale, trying to convey that such things matter little to me.

"You have to eat, Riddhima. Otherwise we should perhaps reconsider the fluid food you had before, to gain more strength. But apart from that, I want you to tell me what happened yesterday. Why you panicked."

I press my lips together; the only way I dare to defy. I don't want to talk about this. I panicked because they were all over me, demanding me to show them where I was hurt. To me, this is very disturbing. I am not used to getting care and to be honest, they were more than a little condescending yesterday. I mean, come on, it's just a burn. I'll live.

And why would they care anyway? What is so important for them to know where exactly I am hurt? What's in it for them?

"Were we too close yesterday? Was that it?"

Torn from my train of thought, I stand motionless and need a moment to process what she just said. Yes, they were too close. And Maya has to learn to let things go already. It's not important.

"Please talk to me. If you don't tell us what we did wrong then how can we make it better? We were supposed to do this together, remember?"

I did not sign my part of that contract, if I recall correctly.

"Are you not used to being cared for when you are in pain?"

Her question is tentative, shy, even, and somehow she manages to catch me off guard with it.