The Price You Pay: Chapter 06

A/N: Remember that Riddhima has been with the Malhotras now for just over 16 hours. The story will pick up pace as I go along, but this first day is incredibly important. It's going to be a slow burn...

For now, a glimpse into Riddhima's past, and into the inner workings of her wounded mind.

●●●●●

"I miss Sonia," Rajeev sighs behind me. He's slouched back into the couch. I'm sitting as far away from him as I can, on the edge of the seat, but apparently I'm still within arm's reach. I go rigid as I feel his hand crawling up my back in a drunken, uncoordinated caress.

"I really miss her. If you hadn't been here, I'm sure all would still be fine."

I grit my teeth and wring my hands in my lap, unseen by the man who has sworn to take care of me, to protect me from harm and to provide me a safe home. So far, all three of those promises have been broken.

"Yeah," he slurs, and his hand falls limply back on the couch.

A strange little thing happens to my body. It's like every nerve ending is suddenly on end, alert for danger. I cannot see him. He's unpredictable and I don't know what he's up to. I count to ten silently before I get up as carefully neutral as I can muster.

"You gonna cook?"

I turn to him and nod.

"Good," he yawns, then scratches his crotch with vigour. God, the man is so disgusting. I look away.

"Bring me a beer, will ya?" he yells after me when I go for the kitchen.

I do as I'm told and place an opened bottle of beer on the coffee table before him.

"Just give it to me, you stupid cow. Goddamnit, is that really so much trouble?"

I grit my teeth once more and walk up to him, reaching the bottle out towards him. When his hand comes out I flinch violently, and in his sudden rage at my fear he doesn't take the bottle from me but grasps my wrist in a vice-like grip. He squeezes so hard tears spring into my eyes immediately. That's going to be a handsome bruise in the morning.

Because he grabs my wrist, the bottle first topples over and then slips from my hand entirely, spilling the contents all over Rajeev's lap.

He roars, his swearing a string of incomprehensible slurring as he gets up, my wrist still in his hand. I give in and move with him as he drags me across the room, else my wrist will certainly snap. God, it burns.

I don't even see it coming as he swings the glass bottle, still spraying beer, at my head. The blow is so loud it makes my ear ring. And the bastard still holds my wrist. I cannot protect myself and all too soon comes the second blow, and the third… I find myself praying to whatever higher power that the bottle won't break. Another blow follows suit and I'm seeing stars now, the bad kind. I scurry into the refuge of my mind and search frantically for my happy place…

●●●●●

Awake with a violent gasp and it takes me a good deal of effort to get my breathing and my hammering heart under control. It was a dream, it was just a dream. Count. One, you're okay, two, you're at… Huh. Where am I, exactly?

I'm in a bathtub.

Okay, that's neither a very new nor a very surprising thing. I carefully look around and take in my surroundings. Dull grey light enters the bathroom through a small window up high in the left wall. I'm wrapped up tightly in a thick comforter, but recognize Renee's quilt underneath it.