The Price You Pay: Chapter 16

A/N: This chapter starts a bit before the scream, just to make it clear.

Warning: This chapter contains content that may upset you. Please bear this in mind when you read.

●●●●●

Riddhima's Pov

Fuck my life.

I think I'm sick. My body agrees. My limbs weigh about a ton and my entire body just aches. My lungs hurt and I am a bit short of breath, which is alarming. I have a cough, which I hate, because it means I have to make sound when I can no longer suppress the torturing itch in my throat. I try to only give in when no one is around, although in the back of my mind I know this is futile.

Still, being sick is showing weakness, and I cannot fail now, I can't. I have been holding my own for so long already. I don't want things to change. I never wanted that. But maybe, as long as I can stay strong, keep up my vigil, things will stay like they are now. I just have to work harder to not show my discomfort. If I show I am not well, they might see I'm not that strong. This, I cannot allow to happen.

But God, I am miserable.

Everything that touches my skin, hurts. It's an exhausting feeling. It's like my hair hurts — I never felt this before and it makes me desperate.

My head hurts, my throat burns and I am dizzy.

I woke up with a fever this morning. Although I can't remember the last time I have been sick, I do realize I have a fever. And it's not a mild one.

Well fuckity fuck.

This is just my luck.

I lay low during the day, hiding my discomfort and suppressing my body's plea to please go to bed. Please.

As yesterday, Maya invites me to read the paper in the kitchen in the morning and she leaves me to do things around the house. After lunch, I retreat to my room when Maya tells me I can go if I want to. She looks at me, concerned, but doesn't ask.

I almost cry when I see the bed and after locking the door, I collapse on it, welcoming the coolness of the sheets on my heated body through my clothes.

Gah.

Gaaaaaah.

I sleep.

Waking up in time for dinner, I hope Maya won't notice I have napped again during the day. Then again, by now I know two things. One; I have reason to believe the chances of a beating are relatively small when it comes to this woman, as she has had chances enough to teach me the rules by now. I've done worse things that could have easily triggered it. Plus, Vedant refused to use the belt on me when he had a chance. Two; I'm just too dazed to mind anything but being able to sleep. I don't know what's wrong with me. Surely, I've had to face worse than this?

I eat in my room again, some solid food that settles in my stomach like a brick. It's out again before my body can start to process it. No, food isn't going down well. When I go to bring my tray down after dinner, I meet Maya and Ishani in the kitchen. They are having a nice convo together and I feel like I am intruding.

I don't know where the others are. At this moment, I don't think I care, either. They are not near the kitchen, at least, which suits me fine.

Maya asks me kindly to gather my laundry for her and finally finally, I have a sense of purpose in this house. I go to get it immediately. Going up the stairs is utterly exhausting and triggers a coughing itch and as soon as I have closed the door behind me, I have to give in to it.