The Price You Pay: Chapter 21

Too tired from all the events and stress to really think straight anymore, I stand in the middle of the living room after having helped Maya with the groceries, unsure what to do.

Maya noticed my fatigue and told me I can cook another day if I want to. Feeling guilty about not being able to help out, I still can't deny that I am happy I won't have to bear the stress of cooking a dinner for eight after this day.

The sound of Vansh playing the piano lingers in my memory. He had left the room when I came back from the garage. I don't know where he is now, in his bedroom probably.

Ishani walks up to me just as Angre steps into the room. Keeping an eye on both of them, I turn to Ishani as she addresses me.

"Mom told me you might want to try and do some homework. Do you want me to help you point out where we are now?"

I nod, accepting her offer. I think of all the people in this house, I am least afraid of Ishani. Still, I try to keep my guard up. It's dangerous to be at ease. It can all go bad easily still. I have to remind myself of that.

Ishani precedes me up the stairs and waits at the door of my room so I can open it. This tiny gesture of respect moves and amazes me.

Once in my room, Ishani walks to the desk and starts to open the books I have lying there.

"Listen, Riddhima," she starts as she flips through the books and puts post its at given places, "I am really sorry for yesterday. I didn't mean to waltz over you like that or anything. I just wanted to help you out, you know? You arrived here with nearly nothing and I just wanted to help you to be more at home here."

I listen to her speech, wringing my hands as she goes through my books. When she's done, she looks up at me. "Are you angry with me?"

The notion alone is beyond ridiculous and I think this shows on my face as she chuckles.

"I guess not. That's good to know," she smiles, "I absolutely loathe it when people are angry with me."

Oh, Ishani, how can I let you know I do appreciate what you did? Biting my lip, I decide to go for the obvious. Opening the bathroom door, I gesture for her to look in and when she does, I point out the strawberry scented shampoo in the shower, the face wash by the sink. Walking to my closet, I show her where I have put the tops, the robe, the pyjamas. I still need to wash them, of course, but that's not important right now.

Ishani, I think, is stunned into silence for once. "Thank you," she finally says, stunning me in turn.

Looking up at me, she smiles. "Maybe, when you are a bit more at ease, we can go shopping together sometime. Or we could go with mom, if you'd like that better. I can't believe you can function with so little things," she jokes.

I have to fight to keep the cynicism from my face. There is remarkable little you really need when all you want is to stay alive. For the first time since it happened, the memory of that last night with Rajeev really comes to me. When my vision started to blur, I knew it was bad news. His hands were around my throat, constricting, and I couldn't breathe...

Frowning, I shake my head a little to clear it, my hand traveling to my neck.

"The bruises are gone, aren't they?" Ishani asks softly. "I mean, you're not wearing your scarf anymore, either. Does it still hurt?"

My neck? No, my neck doesn't hurt anymore.

Swallowing, Ishani looks away briefly before she meets my gaze again. "Were you scared?"

Her question takes me off guard and for a moment I can only look at her as I register what she actually said.

Then, finally, I nod.