The Price You Pay: Chapter 12

I can't sleep. I'm too wound up after all the commotion. Vedant reaching out to me — I was so shocked that I was paralyzed with fear at first. I retreated into my mind and waited for first Vedant and then Maya to leave me, but when I realized that Maya wasn't going anywhere, I had to come back out again.

She spoke to me for a very long time, telling me how Vedant was a good doctor and that he wouldn't hurt me. And that he just wanted to check my head, and he wouldn't hurt me. He was a loving father, and he wouldn't hurt me. Even if I didn't want the examination, he wouldn't hurt me.

I let her words wash over me, looking at her blankly. I was and am still, wondering when they will realize I am not a very desirable person to have in the house, and they will send me away.

I mean, if they are not going to use me for household activities or anything else, what use am I here?

Maya kept on talking and finally said something that made me reconsider everything.

"Come on, let's get this over with."

Yes, why not get this over with. I finally followed her to Vedant's office.

Vansh was there. Was he going to be present the whole time? Because I didn't know if I really liked that. But he looked at me for a moment before he cleared his throat and left the room without a word.

I don't get him. He acts like he'd rather stay as far away from me as possible — which I can totally understand — but his eyes seem to tell a different story.

Well, I had more pressing matters to attend to. Vedant's demeanor had changed while I was out, and now he was in full on doctor mode I think. He was very clear and very firm and together with Maya's proposition, I did exactly that: I got it over with.

It wasn't pleasant, I won't lie. Vedant worked quickly and I have to admit that he did nothing strange, except for thanking me afterwards and telling me he was proud of me. I still don't understand that. But I was very tense and wanted to leave that room. When Maya asked me afterwards if I wanted to eat or rather go to bed, I chose bed, even though I was desperately hungry.

And now I am here, wound up with a heart that won't calm down, queasy with hunger and shaking with pain in my head and my throat. And my back, because damnation, my entire body is sore.

As much as I dread it, I would dearly love food, meds and a walk around because even my legs are stiff. Maya reassured me once again that I really can go and get food in the middle of the night if I want to. The last time I did it wasn't really a success, but there is no way in hell I am going to be able to go to sleep without eating.

What is wrong with me? I used to be able to go without food for days.

Checking my watch I see it's 3 am. The house has been quiet for hours, so I decide to just try it and go downstairs. After all, this time I am pretty sure that all the Malhotras are in bed, so nobody will be coming home in the middle of the night.

Right?

Still, I get dressed in my second pair of clothes and pull my only sweater over my head. I wonder how I am going to solve this problem. I really should have some more clothes.

I make my way downstairs carefully through the house. The sky is clear — for the first time since I've been here I should think — and moonlight fills the house with a bluish glow through the countless windows.

Walking softly on my stockings, I make my way to the kitchen. Only when I round the corner, can I see that there is a small light on.

There is someone in there.

Fuck!

I turn immediately to leave again, but a voice stops me.

"Hey, don't go."