Friends

The next few weeks passed without much issue. Naya was fitting into school more and more, and was actually making friends without feeling fake. Her nighttime talks with Cat Noir were the highlight of every day though. They were getting more and more comfortable in each other's presence every time and Cat would open up and share more and more.

For some reason talking to him didn't feel like talking to a superhero. He was just a person. He had his own needs and wants just like anyone else, he'd just been blessed with the power to save people. He was a person, just like her. And if for some reason she'd gotten the miraculous instead of him, she was sure they would've still met and become friends.

Friends.

She was starting to hate that word. Friends meant she couldn't hold his hand. Friends meant she couldn't kiss him. Friends meant she could never truly open up to him, because that would mean telling him how she felt. And she could never do that. Not while he still felt that way about Ladybug.

But friends meant she could see him most nights when he wasn't fighting a supervillain. Friends meant they could talk for hours about their lives or their days or their feelings without ever getting tired of it. Friends meant pain, but it also meant enough that she could live with that pain. It was worth it for the happiness he brought her.

Friends.

"What's up?" Nathaniel asked, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"H-huh? Oh! Well... Just thinking about a drawing I'm making?"

"Oh, cool." He thought for a moment, then leaned over and whispered, "do you mind showing it to me?"

"Nathaniel, Naya, got something you'd like to share with the class?" the teacher snapped.

"No ma'am!" they both yelped, scooting apart again. Naya noticed Adrien frowning back at them and gave him a confused look. He jumped and turned back around in his seat.

Well that was weird. Why does he have such a fascination with me anyways? Is it possible he's figured me out? Does he know I'm faking?

"Sure," she whispered to Nathaniel. "I'll show you after class."

He smiled thankfully and they went back to taking notes, although she'd been so spaced or she'd missed most of the lecture.