Character

"What was that?"

"What?" Ladybug gasped, looking up. Naya offered a gloved hand and the red superhero reluctantly took it.

"M'lady, are you okay?" Cat Noir cried, rushing over and shoving Naya away from her. "Who are you? No, what are you?"

"What do you mean what am I?" she snapped. "I'm a hero, just like you!"

"No, you must be a sentimonster!" he yelled, pointing at her accusingly.

"What? Why would I be a sentimonster?"

"Because you have a miraculous even though Ladybug didn't give you one, and because you defeated that villain too easily. Shadow Moth must've gotten slow, 'cause this is way too obvious!"

She sighed, exasperated. "Well even if I was, I don't expect you could beat me. Not after that lousy performance. I mean come on! Aren't you supposed to be the heroes of Paris or something? But you can't even beat one freezing villain?"

"We we're doing just fine before you showed up," Ladybug snapped.

"You clearly weren't! If I hadn't shielded kit—Cat Noir twice he would've gotten frozen, just like you did! The only reason you survived with your miraculous was because of me!"

"And who are you?" Cat Noir asked. "If you aren't a sentimonster?"

"I'm...I'm...um, Wisp! Yeah! My hero name is Wisp. I hold the mark of the Willow." She held up her wrist, showing them the glowing mark.

"Mark of the Willow?" Cat Noir asked skeptically. "Sure. And we're just supposed to believe you?"

"Cat Noir, wait," Ladybug stopped him, putting up a black spotted hand. "I remember reading about this in the manuscripts Master Fu gave me. There's no way Hawk Moth could know about them, so she must be telling the truth."

"Thank you!" Wisp groaned. "Finally!"

"Are you sure, m'lady?" He asked, looking worried.

"I'm sure, Kitty." She smiled at him and he beamed back, looking grateful for the attention.

That's my nickname for him!

"Whatever," Wisp snapped. "Don't expect me to come help again. Not after that pathetic performance, Ladybug." The last word held so much venom she was surprised the superhero didn't keel over, dead. She was also surprised at herself; she'd known the two of them were close, so why was this hurting her so much to watch? Why did hearing him worry about Ladybug stab such a deep spear into her heart?

"Hey!" Cat Noir cried. "Don't say that! She was trying her best, we both were."

"I'm not saying anything about you," she informed him, trying to gentle her glare as she turned to him. "You did fine, considering how utterly useless your partner is. I'm impressed! Really."

"Huh!?" He glared at her even harder. "How dare you insult Ladybug like that!? You do know you couldn't have won without her help, right?"

"And you were both about to lose before I showed up! You know it's true!" she reminded him when he tried to protest. "I don't think a disappointment like the great Ladybug deserves my help anymore."

Ladybug opened her mouth to argue, then closed it again, looking away.

"She's right."

"What?" Cat Noir yelped, looking horrified. "Don't say that, M'lady! You're incredible! You know that!"

Please, just stop! I can't take this anymore.

"No. If Wisp hadn't shown up we would've lost. It's true. We owe everything to her. I was useless as a guardian."

His eyes widened and he took a trembling step back. "You weren't. Don't you believe me?"

She could only shake her head in despair.

"I'm realizing I've been a bit harsh," Wisp admitted, embarrassed. "Maybe I'll come help again, if you really need it."

When no one responded she sighed, pushing down her resentment for Ladybug and turning to the red and black superhero. "You did...not terrible. She was a tough villain. It's just...Paris is my hometown, and I was so scared you would lose and it would be destroyed. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped like that."

There. That should get them off my track, if they're trying to figure out who I really am. I figured they might've been suspicious of Naya if she just moved to Paris and then Wisp appeared, but this way there's no possible way I could be her.

"Thank you." Ladybug smiled kindly. "I understand, and I don't blame you. We failed this time. But, since I can't collect your miraculous, you can come fight with us anytime."

Cat Noir scoffed and Ladybug frowned.

He's annoyed because he wants it to just be the two of you, and yet you're not realizing that and inviting me without asking him. God, can't you even figure that out?

"Thanks. I think I will."

"Sorry," Cat Noir growled, taking out his stick and starting towards the edge of the roof, "I'm late for a meeting with someone. See you later, Wisp."

"Cat—"

"Leave me be, Ladybug," he interrupted her as she tried to call him back. Then he was gone over the edge, jumping in the direction of Wisp's house.

"Ah! Right!" she yelped. "My—" my meeting with him is...right now!

"Sorry, I've got to go too," she said to Ladybug before changing her umbrella into the superhero's yo-yo and swinging away after Cat Noir.