Chapter Fourteen

"Okay. This is getting out of hand. You need to understand that you don't own this house."

"I couldn't just leave him outside. What kind of person would I be?" I wailed.

"A person that actually considers the consequences before they act!"

"Oh please. Someone in their right mind wouldn't leave a child outside in the cold. I'm not cold-hearted like you people."

"We're cold-hearted? Is that what you think of us now?" Aiden was clearly offended. We were currently in the living room arguing about me letting strangers into the house. I wasn't too bothered about the fact that he could be a threat but he didn't seem likely. Then again, the boy was too busy warming up near the fireplace to take heed to anything we were saying.

"Damian's going to be pissed if he hears about this," he mumbled under his breath, shaking his head.

"So what are you going to do? Kick him out?"

"No, but I might consider kicking you out."

"Your mother..."

"Guys! Let's focus on the real issue here!" Maddie said standing up waving her hands in the air. "This isn't getting us anywhere." I stood silently staring at the boy. He was clutching himself tightly and looked frightened with wide eyes. He was probably regretting coming here.

"Well I know one thing for sure, he's a wolf," Aiden said and the boy's head immediately snapped towards him with wide eyes.

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"I can smell it off him. And he's not from here... Where did you come from?" he began pacing towards the boy with a frown on his face. His frown deepened as the boy began to cower away.

I tried to sniff for any smells but I didn't catch a scent. It was as if my sensitive senses just left as soon as they came. I didn't even get a chance to use to my abilities.

"We can't help you if we know nothing about you," Aiden continued. A few more attempts came out useless so we called it a day.

"So he's staying?"

"Don't get your hopes up." I was relieved that we wouldn't have to toss him into the cold. But it wasn't easy since we had to keep this away from Damian who always found out sooner or later.

The night dawned upon us quickly, as usual, and signs of snow falling were becoming more obvious. Neither of us stayed up late and everyone was in their beds at the same time. I didn't comprehend why but was too tired to push it.

These days, I was keeping a bed to myself. Maddie no longer shared the same room with me. She was sleeping a little further down the hall in case I felt lonely. I kind of liked it. I felt like my space to think had expanded, though I wasn't sure what that meant.

I crawled under the thick covers and nestled my head against the many pillows that surrounded me. My eyes stayed open as I stared at the ceiling above me, seeing complete darkness. I wasn't that tired so I rolled on a side and picked up one of my novels and pulled out my phone and headphones. I liked to listen to music whilst reading.

I didn't even bother to start a conversation with any of my contacts since Damian told I'd be putting them in danger if I did. Then again, I didn't have much family or friends left so it wasn't like I was tempted to do anything.

It must have been about an hour later when I heard a door being opened. I shrugged it off as someone getting up to have a snack or use the bathroom and continued reading. I snuggled deeper into the bed enjoying its warmth and soon dozed off.

I was awoken by the alarming smell of smoke filling up the room. There was light seeping from under my door, allowing me to see the clouds rising up to the ceiling. Without a second thought, I bolted for the door, pulling it open and was immediately greeted with tall fumes and the unpleasant smell smoke.

I heard many voices shouting, yelling to get out. I stumbled through the flames, staring in horror as I noticed a few badly burnt bodies lying on the floor. The smoke was getting thicker each minute and it was getting harder to breathe and see. I moved to the side of the staircase just in time to dodge a falling plank that crashed to the floor with a crunching sound. I had to get out of here.

I ran down the stairs, not ready to see the sight that I was about to encounter. The kitchen must have been the source of the fire as the flames were their highest there. It created somewhat of a barrier, disabling me from passing to get to the front door. I turned around and headed for the back door but it was jammed shut and the metal handle was too hot to hold.

Soon the smoke started filling my lungs as I cried the loudest I could for help. The house somehow seemed deserted now as no one was inside. Well... no one alive. I instantly began to wonder if Maddie was okay. Did she make it outside before me? I thought about going back upstairs to check but the ceiling began to fall around me. The fire was spreading rapidly and my throat burned intensely. That was until I noticed the open window in the living.

It was a bit taller than me and I needed to jump quite high to get through. I turned around looking for a foundation for me to stand on. My body was getting weaker every second and so I had to hurry. I found a soft chair and shoved it under the window. I climbed unto it and stretched the best I could but only my hands reached the sill of the window.

If I wasn't in this situation, I'd have been able to hold my own weight and climb out. But my energy was drained. It took all I had to get my torso outside. I breathed in the clean air from outside and tumbled hard unto the soft grass until I heard an explosion before falling into darkness.

***

Thanks for sticking with us!

Taja D'amore.