Chapter Three

"You... you thought my whole family was dead?" I stammered. "Am I supposed to be dead?" I looked around.

"Every time my instincts tell me not to listen to you, I still do and this is what I get," Maddie mumbled under her breath, causing me to send a glare in her direction. She was pouting in her seat like a child.

"But that's impossible," Damian mumbled to himself, ignoring me.

"Not possible? I'm sitting right here," I said while glancing out the room. There was only one exit door, and it was far from my seat.

"Michael," Damian said. "Do they know she's alive?"

"I don't know," he replied. "That's why I bought her here."

"W-who are they?" I asked. I was hell-bent on getting out here, but somehow I couldn't shut up. Asking questions was what got me in this situation.

"Hey! You will speak when spoken to. Have some respect for our Alpha!" one of the men stated grimly.

"What?" I asked with a raised brow. "What the hell is an 'alpha'?" One of the men in the room facepalmed themselves and others shook their heads in amusement.

"She doesn't know. All the better," Damian said flatly with a relieved look on his face. "Take her to a room to stay; I have a busy day, so we'll discuss this tomorrow."

"Room to stay?" My jaw dropped. "I demand you take me home now!" I protested. "Clearly this is a misunderstanding. Just forget what I asked earlier," I pleaded to Michael. 

"We're just trying to protect you," he responded. He opened the door. "It'd all make sense eventually. Just trust me." He pointed to a dimly lit hallway. I squinted.

"I barely know you."

"There's a first time for everything," he said with a shrug.

 We were led to a room with two beds. There was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall and a bathroom to the left. I turned to face Maddie. She hadn't said much and I was concerned. 

"Are you okay?" I asked her softly.

"I'm fine," she said and propped herself on the bed. "I just can't see this ending well." I walked across the room to the window and stared outside. I hadn't realized that it was the late afternoon; a bright yellow sun lit up the sky and clouds with pink and orange tones above the tall trees. It was beautiful but I had to get out of here. 

I looked around and saw a long metal rod that was placed just above the window curtain. I stood on my toes and reached for it, only touching it with my fingertips, causing it to fall with a loud clang. I froze, wondering if someone would come barging through the door any second. 

No one came so I proceeded. I struck the window several times until I was breathless. I stood there furious that it didn't even sustain a crack. Even when Maddie came to help, the window didn't budge. I guess we were so preoccupied, we didn't hear the door creak open.

"What are you doing?" a voice said behind me. We both turned around to see Damian watching us with a raised eyebrow.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I asked sarcastically and turned around to continue hitting the window. Maddie, however, looked like she wanted to bolt. I just wanted to go home.

"You can't go home. It's not safe for you out there," he said as though he read my mind.

"How would you know? Your men kidnapped me." I hit the window again.

You'll understand soon enough," he mumbled as he walked out of the room.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked but got no reply as the door slammed in my face.