Chapter Ten

Jade came and sat next to me on the bed. I had brought down the volume of the TV to hear what she had to say. She played with her fingers nervously before looking back up at me. The silence was uncomfortable and I was beginning to get impatient.

"So," she began quietly. "I heard everything you went through and I'm sorry about that."

"Oh," was all I could say. I hadn't doubted that she would be listening behind the door but I didn't mention it. It wouldn't do me any good to upset the mood... or the atmosphere. She smiled sadly and continued.

"I know I haven't been on best terms with you and I want you to know that it's not that I want to." I stayed silent as I didn't understand a word she said. She seemed to realize this and calmly continued. "I want you to know that I don't hate you. And I'm going to prove it to you."

"And exactly how are you going to do that?" I asked her suspiciously.

"Well, first of all, you are getting too comfortable here. You need to leave." There was an awkward pause as I stared at her in disbelief.

"I think you should reconsider ever coming here again," I told her and slowly got off the bed. "Get out," I demanded.

"Wait! You didn't let me finish," she quickly said, holding up her hands in defense. "You need to leave for your safety. Damian and his brothers are just using you for your powers and they're just going to throw you aside after they use you."

"That can't be true. Damian brought me here to protect me," I almost whispered to myself.

"Think about it," Jade began as she got off the bed and walked towards me. "Did he ever once consider you contacting the rest of your family? He knew whatever happened at that club was going to happen, that's why he allowed you to go there in the first place. Basically, he doesn't really care what happens to you, as long as you stay here."

"You really think so?"

"I know so. You should get going as soon as possible. The war is coming in about two weeks and that's when they would really need you. Teach them a lesson and disappear. Let them know that you're not an object."

I didn't answer her but instead stared at her intently.

"Think of it this way. I'm Damian's girlfriend," she started with some pride. I just wanted to punch her face in. "He talks to me about most of his private life and I promised I wouldn't say anything but I couldn't hold it. Also with the fact that I know that you want nothing more than to go home. Right?"

"Yes," I said agreeing with her. "But we need to get Maddie. I can't leave her here by herself."

"Don't worry; they won't hurt her since she's Aiden's..."

"Aiden's what?"

"It's nothing. She just has a crush on him... and I think he likes her back. She'll be fine. Why don't you leave tonight," she suggested. I looked at her questioningly. "The sooner you leave the better."

"Ok," I told her. "I'll start packing."

"I'll go find a way for you to leave undetected," she said and left the room.

***

I packed my bag silently and proceeded down the hall, scared as a mouse. It was evident that no one was home; it seems that Jade had cleared them out. She had a car waiting for me outside that would take me to my residence. For once, I felt at peace with myself, knowing that homesick feeling would soon be gone.

The trees passed away in a blur as I stared out the window. Soon, we pulled up on my street and I waved the driver goodbye as I walked up to my driveway. I didn't lock the door the day we were 'kidnapped' and thank God I did that because I had no idea where my keys were.

The house smelt of me... mostly. The was nothing out of place, just the way I liked it. I placed my bag on the sofa and went upstairs to my room. I sat on the bed, staring at myself in the mirror. My curls were messy and all over the place with blonde single hairs shooting in all directions, but I liked the way I looked. Anyone who saw me might have shaken their heads at me pity... and probably offer me food, which I wouldn't decline.

As I thought of nonsense, I felt drowsy and the last thing I remembered was my head hitting my pillow.

I was awakened by a crash downstairs. The noise startled me, but before I took action, I glanced at my window and realized it was dark. I didn't realize that I had slept for so long. I stayed on the bed and heard nothing but disturbing silence. Suddenly, I didn't feel like I was alone.

I shook off the feeling and stripped off my clothes to take a quick shower. The warm water felt relaxing on my back as I stood still, staring at the wall. It was a while since I thought about Damian. What were his real plans for me if he was going to discard me after that 'battle'? Maybe Jade was pretending not to like me so that when they question her on my disappearance, she won't look like a likely suspect to them. I'd thank her later for that.

But why was I thinking about them so much? The whole reason behind this whole escape was for me to forget about them. And as if to worsen the moment, I actually liked thinking about them. Especially Damian.

But at the same time, I felt guilty for leaving Maddie behind. Even though I knew she wouldn't be against me leaving, I felt like I had let her down as a friend. But then, would Damian eventually find me? Questions flooded my minds while I dried myself and dressed.

In the process of pulling on my last piece of clothing, I heard a crash from downstairs again. I felt goose bumps rise on my skin as I imagined the worse that could happen. I opened my bedroom door and scanned the area near the banisters. It was dark but I proceeded towards the beginning of the staircase... the same place my mother 'supposedly' fell.

Silence had again taken over the area. I tiptoed down the stairs and took a right into the kitchen. There was nothing present except the dancing shadows of the trees outside in the moonlight and the dripping of water in the kitchen sink... which was strange because I was sure I had closed it tight.

I walked towards the sink and closed the tap. I looked around for any signs of broken dishes, but there was nothing. What could have made that noise? It was odd but I pushed the concern to the back of my mind and decided to have a snack while still being alert. I opened the door of the fridge and pulled out some pan loaf to make a sandwich. In the process, I took some other items and then closed the fridge door.

Turning, I was startled by the dark figure staring at me, standing motionless. It was almost as if it was avoiding the moonlight. It didn't utter a word nor did it make a move. I soon became aware that there were more figures standing in the kitchen, all of them almost surrounding me completely. There was a dark cloudy substance emitting from them as their bright red eyes glowed in the dark. I'd never bothered to put on the light in the kitchen.

 My breathing became hitched and I glanced at the kitchen door as a route to escape. The unknown creatures seemed to notice this and no sooner than later had the atmosphere become tense.

"Come with us," a voice said. "And we won't hurt you." And in sync, all the figures diffused into the air, as if they were daring me not to obey. I pretended to be brave and walked towards my front door. Hesitantly, I opened it and was surprised by a familiar face.

"Hi," he said softly, smiling sheepishly.

"Kyle? What are you doing here?"

"I- I came to see you..."

***

Taja D'amore.