Chapter Four

I see you made it to the fourth chapter! You're probably liking this so far.

***

Damian and his brothers rushed out of the room, full speed and down the hall to the kitchen. I tried to keep up with them but they were just too fast. In the end, I was panting and gasping for air. Maddie was still in the kitchen chatting away and was startled by the noise of Damian rushing in.

"What is it Alpha?" one of the men asked.

"We're under attack. Quick, get the men ready and surround the borders, we don't want anyone crossing over onto our land. You two, stay in the house," he said with determination. The kitchen was soon empty with the exception of Maddie and me. I walked over to the window and peeked through the curtains to get a better look at what was going on. There was a lot of commotion outside but I couldn't hear what was being said.

"What's going on?" Maddie asked with a frightened tone.

"I don't know. I need to get a closer look. Stay here," I told her and headed for the door that led to the back. There was no one at the back since everyone had assembled to the front. I guess they were planning their tactics.

A cool breeze blew, sending my hair all over my face and giving me goosebumps. The once blue sky was already turning grey and there was a distant rumbling sound. I started to walk towards the front of the house but stopped because I had an eerie feeling that someone was watching me. I slowly turned around and gazed through the trees but saw no one. I still had a feeling that someone was there. How did I always find myself in these situations?

I continued to walk but stopped dead in my tracks when I heard the rumbling again. It sounded closer than usual. What I thought was thunder at first, now sounded like the growl of an animal. I turned around completely, scanning the trees with my eyes carefully and frowned when I saw nothing unusual. Feeling a bit anxious now, I turned around to start walking again but bumped into something soft but firm.

Taken aback, I stumbled to the ground. I looked up; a man I'd have never seen before stood there looking at me intensely. He had coal black hair with yellow glowing eyes. He sniffed the air and then stared with a mischievous grin.

"Well, if it isn't the one person I've been looking for," he stated, taking long strides towards me. I was too shocked to take a stance but I did manage to squirm a bit further away.

"No no no," he said, moving his index finger to and fro with a fake look of disappointment. "We've just met, why must you try to run?" He was closing on the gap between us rapidly. "You see," he said, finally reaching me. "We were all told that you were dead, but here you are alive and well, and we don't like being lied to." I saw a flash of anger in his eyes but he quickly suppressed it with a forced smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I told him; my throat was parched and my voice sounded coarse. My instincts were telling me to scream for help but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

"Oh, I think you do know. You know very well what we want from you." I simply looked at him dumbfounded. 

"What?" He sighed in frustration.

"It was something your mother passed on to you." I pondered on that for a moment and came up with only one idea.

"You want the house I inherited?"

"Oh my god," he groaned, running a hand across his face. He kneeled down in front of me. "How clueless are you?" he asked.

"Very. I bet it's that obvious."

"Look, I tried my best to get it out of you the easy way, but you're testing my patience. I'm sorry for your friends and family but this is going to benefit my pack. Just think of it," he said, brooding a bit. "We would no longer be the weakest, but we will rise to what we were before and conquer what is rightfully ours."

"I thought we established me being clueless."

I honestly had no idea what he was talking about. I wasn't sure if he was capable of hurting me but I didn't want to stick around to find out. He was distracted at the moment and I took it as my chance to flee. I stumbled to my feet and started to run but was forcefully yanked backward by a grip I felt on my neck causing me to gasp in pain.

"You're not going anywhere," he whispered in my ears and pushed me to the ground. What I saw after that was frightening. I watched in awe as the young man that once stood in front of me turned into a rather large black wolf with contrasting yellow eyes. He bared his fangs at me, a deep growl emitted from his chest.

Still on the ground, I edged myself away from him, thinking about Maddie and wondering if she was okay

Still on the ground, I edged myself away from him, thinking about Maddie and wondering if she was okay. My wind went to the worst places when I was trouble. My heart was pounding against my chest so hard that it hurt like hell. Tears began streaming down my face as I watched the wolf position himself to launch at me with a big grin on his big face. I closed my eyes and braced myself for the impact. I heard his giant paws beating against the ground as he got closer and closer but then they abruptly stopped.

I opened my eyes just in time to see a brown wolf pounce on his back and they began rolling all over the place. I figured that it was my chance to run but my legs wouldn't get up. My body was seriously being stubborn at the moment and it was getting rather annoying. I scowled deeply at the way I felt helpless.

In no time, more wolves came and helped the brown to beat the black one. There was a lot of growling and howling but in the end, the black one fled through the trees wounded and bleeding. It wasn't long before his whimpers were lost with the wind. I looked at his retreating figure in relief but then realized that there were more wolves in my presence. It then occurred to me that I was going to die right here and now.

I slowly turned my head back to face them and saw them staring at me intently. A few of them were already leaving, heading to the front of the house and I thought, oh my, Damian and his brothers are over there. There were only three wolves in front of me after the other had left, a sandy one, and two brown ones. Suddenly, their wolf figure melted into that of a human being and to my surprise, it was Damian and his two brothers in front of me... naked.

***

Thanks for reading.

Taja D'amore.