Chapter Six

"Ashley, wake up. You need to wake up." I rubbed my eyes and sat up in my bed. It was still pitch black outside.

"Ashley, are you listening?" I scanned the room but there was no one. I looked to my side but Maddie wasn't there.

"Ashley, you need to save them." Did I need to save people? I climbed out the bed and put on my fuzzy slippers. The door was slightly open, which wasn't possible since I had locked it. Unless Maddie went to use the bathroom, which didn't make any sense since we had a bathroom right in our room. Nonetheless, I took cautious steps towards it.

I peeked through the crack of the door and saw a light coming from downstairs. I pushed the door wide open and tip toed down the stairs. I entered the kitchen but Maddie was nowhere to be seen. Surely I wasn't going to act like the people who call out the names of the people they're looking for in the dark and later get killed.

Strangely, I didn't need light because of a glowing figure that was seated with its back to me near the island. I slowly made my way to it and tapped it lightly on the back. The figure didn't turn but instead, it spoke.

"Ashley, you've found my pack," it said in a somewhat angelic voice.

"Your pack?" I asked; my throat dry.

"Yes," the figure said turning around to face me. I gasped as I watched my mother's glowing face. She reached out and pressed her hand against my cheek which felt very comforting. "You need to protect and keep them safe. It was my job and now it's yours."

"I miss you so much," I said, tears streaming down my face. I didn't even register the words she said before.

She smiled brightly and said, "I miss you too honey. There's so much I didn't get a chance to tell you. But life must go on."

I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted by the opening of a door. I turned to see the same man that attacked me enter the room with an evil grin on his face.

Kurt...

Without warning, he lunged at us, phasing in mid-air.

"Get behind me sweetie," my mother said as she pushed me behind her. I cried as he pounced on my mother, tearing her to bits even though she tried her hardest. As he finished her off, he looked at me with a toothy grin, blood dripping from his jaw. He began to advance closer and closer as I backed off. I thought of screaming, but it was as if he had that same effect on me.

I thought fast and flew a stool at him and then made a run for it. I heard his heavy breathing close behind me as I ran. Eventually, my leg got caught in his sharp teeth and I went down with one last cry. I felt utterly defeated and battered. My life was over, just like that.

"Ashley, open your eyes," a male voice said. No! I thought as I tried to yank my feet from the wolf's grip. I didn't care about the pain I was feeling nor the amount of blood that was beginning to pool on the floor.

"Ashley, it's just a dream," the voice said again. I began to throw punches and kicks aimlessly and felt satisfied when I heard the wolf howl in pain. Suddenly, I felt a cold liquid all over me. I gasped in surprised and opened my eyes to see Maddie and Damian staring at me wide eyed. I shivered involuntarily, still feeling cold. I looked down and realized that my night gown was soaked in water.

"Is she awake?" Damian asked Maddie, frowning deeply. He had a bucket tucked under his arm.

"I think so. Ashley, can you hear me?" I stared at her blankly realizing that I was still in the mansion in the middle of nowhere with those men that turned into menacing wolves.