Chapter Five

I was panicking uncontrollably. These men had just shifted in front of me and I was just sitting there gaping at them. And to top it off, one of their kind had just tried to kill me for reasons I didn't understand. And for some reason, it all had something to do with my dead mother.

"Ashley," Damian said as he stopped in front of me. By then, he had a pair of faded jeans on. "Are you okay?" I took a deep breath, making sure that every part of my body was functioning properly. I stared at his exposed chest for a bit longer than I intended.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Do you understand why I said you would be safer here now?" he asked. I nodded nervously, although I really didn't understand. It was obvious that man would have sooner or later, found me at my house and would have finished me off right there. But I was still puzzled at all the events that were evolving today. Things just seemed to get worse and worse.

I hadn't realized that Damian had carried me bridal style to the house until I felt myself being placed on a stool in the kitchen. Maddie was still confused as she had no idea what was going on outside. Damian looked worried and angry, but mostly angry. He was currently pacing up and down the area whilst passing his hand through his hair in frustration.

"Are you okay?" I asked him. I didn't want to see a man that could turn into a beast throwing a tantrum while I was around.

"Am I okay? You're seriously asking that?" he shouted whilst slamming his fists on the counter making everyone jump. There was an awkward silence as everyone stared at him with wide eyes at his sudden outburst. He took a deep breath to calm himself and continued. "I simply asked you to stay inside so that you would be safe. Why are girls so stubborn?"

I thought it was the other way around, but in this case, he was definitely right. I wasn't even sure why I went outside. My reason had made sense before but now, it sounded like rubbish. What if Damian and his brothers were not there, I would have been dead by now, and it probably would have been a painful death by the way that man was staring at me.

"Who was that man?" I asked, trembling in fear by just thinking of him.

"He's an enemy of mine from the past," he mumbled while he took a seat on a stool across me.

"Your enemy? So why did he want to kill me?"

"Because of what your mother was," he said so softly that I almost didn't hear it.

"My mother was a teacher at a high school. Why would people want to kill me because of that?" This was beginning to make no sense. 

If this whole situation was in human terms, these guys probably just owned an illegal drug company, and the other guy probably came to steal some drugs and I had just happened to fall into the path of a psychopath and was so scared that I hallucinated about giant wolves.

So far, I was starting to believe that conclusion but the only thing that didn't fall into place was how they knew about my mother. That could possibly mean that they knew about my personal life or maybe they were spying on me for a while; watching me eat, bathe, use the toilet; I grimaced at the last one. That's just nasty.

"How was my mother killed?" I asked quietly. If these people knew everything about me, I might as well ask the one question that was bothering me. Damian let out a huge sigh and then nodded to the others in the room to leave. They slightly bowed respectively and left excluding Maddie who came to sit next to me.

"A few years ago," Damian began, "there was a great pack of wolves that ruled the north of the country. They were known as the Mountain Creatures to the few humans that knew about them because they could have been seen in the mountains mainly during winter. The humans sometimes called them "Furry Warriors" at that time of the year because of the protection they provided."